Yesterday @ 04:14 PM
    Real Name
    Walt Meyer
    Local Date
    03-28-2024
    Local Time
    11:31 AM

Series 30 Toyo Kogyo Proofs?

I just obtained a Series 30 Toyo Kogyo. It is in pretty good shape but unfortunately, the bolt numbers do not match the receiver. I have noticed a significant number of what appear to be proof marks on various pieces. I have very limited experience with these rifles and was hoping to see if anyone can confirm if these are actual proofs. Thanks!
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

Last On
    03-25-2024 @ 09:49 AM
    Real Name
    James
    Local Date
    03-28-2024
    Local Time
    12:31 PM
    First thing you need to know about this early 30th series rifle is the bolts were matching with the sub-serial number located under the receiver...not matched by the last three digits of serial number. So if you haven't done so yet, remove the barreled action from the wood and look on the bottom of receiver. You will see the same 1-3 digit number stamped on receiver and barrel. If this is the same number as bolt...it matches. What is the number on front bayonet band?

As for your inspection stamps:

The stamps on bottom of trigger guard you show are correct for this Arsenal. The large stamp is "Hiro" and the smaller stamp is "shi" for Hiroshima.

The stamp on your bolt has been rubbed with working of bolt and hard to read. The stamps on the back of bolt handle might be more identifiable.

3. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
    Last On
    Real Name
    Walt Meyer
    Local Date
    03-28-2024
    Local Time
    Thanks, that answers a lot of questions. My series 10 Nagoya didn't have any proof stamps for obvious reasons. I have had this rifle apart (the screws were no longer staked indicating it had already been apart). It had the following numbers:

Barrel (underside) - 0437
    Bolt - 055
    Receiver - xx795
    Safety knob - 536
    Firing pin - None

I didn't see any numbers on the front bayonet band but I can recheck it. My series 10 Nagoya is all matching but I think this one is a mutt. Your info reference what the proofs mean makes me like this rifle even more. You can always say it was made in Hiroshima, but the proofs add another more layer of reality as to its origins.

Last On
    Real Name
    Walt Meyer
    Local Date
    03-28-2024
    Local Time
    I checked the front band bayonet mount and the numbers are basically unreadable (see attached). I'm thinking it is a parts gun, but the wood, metal and bore are all in excellent shape so I will add the missing parts (cleaning road, monopod and dust cover) and make it correct for its era.

Last On
    Real Name
    James
    Local Date
    03-28-2024
    Local Time
    Hard to tell from the photos but the stock looks to have been sanded and refinished as well. The finger grooves should be very sharp, not rounded over, and as clean as the stock looks, the two proof marks on the lower butt stock should also be crisply stamped.

I wouldn't put much money into it, unless you put a repop mono-pod, cleaning rod and cheap DC on it. It will make a good shooter though!

Last On
    Real Name
    Walt Meyer
    Local Date
    03-28-2024
    Local Time
    Thanks for the info. That is exactly what I am going to do. It is still a pretty nice piece and we will have fun shooting it. I think you may be right reference being refinished. It has definitely been dismantled in its past. You mention two proof Mark's that should be on the lower stock. Where exactly would they be and what would they look like? I want to know what to look for in the future. Thanks!

Last On
    Real Name
    James
    Local Date
    03-28-2024
    Local Time
    They would be located on the bottom of the butt stock, one just to the rear of the last trigger guard screw and the second about 4" father back toward the butt plate. They would both be the "Hiro" character as you have shown in the above photo on bottom of trigger guard.

9. Thank You to jangle For This Useful Post:

Last On
    Real Name
    Walt Meyer
    Local Date
    03-28-2024
    Local Time
    Just fyi, I had a friend who does woodwork look at the stock and he concurred that it had been sanded and refinished. The proofs on the bottom of the stock are barely visible but definitely sanded over. Just thought you would like confirmation on your observation. Thanks!

Last On
    02-25-2021 @ 10:28 PM
    Local Date
    03-28-2024
    Local Time
    08:31 AM
    Toyo Kyogo now known as Mazda.

Part of the modern lore is that no bolts match because on the troop ship home they took the bolts out and threw them in a bin that was under lock and key for the voyage back. On disembarkation they grabbed a bolt out of the bin for their war trophies.
    Either way you do have a very good looking arisaka even if the stock has been monkeyed with and the bolt doesnt match. Its still a piece of history not matter what.
    I do have a last ditch Jinsen korean made arisaka that is all matching but it is likely a Korean war bring back and who knows how it remained that way.
    Enjoy shooting it! I recommend Graff's 7.7 Japaneseicon (usually loaded in PPU brass) Or you can always reload for it. I wouldn't recommend Precision cartridge company's 7.7 Japanese. I got a few bad boxes from them and it was rather ugly.

Last On
    Real Name
    Walt Meyer
    Local Date
    03-28-2024
    Local Time
    I picked up a Series 11 Nagoya "last ditch" a couple months ago for $75 and it is also all matching. It came out of a private collection being liquidated by a broker in LA. He initially told me it was a "project gun" that no ne would want since it was "missing pieces and looks like a toy." I also picked up from him out of the same collection an all matching 1941 KAR98K but it was substantially more! It is pretty cool having such an early model and late model to compare. The Series 11 Nagoya actually shoots pretty well despite the front barrel band being welded on in a crooked position. I've actually been picking up 7.7 at the Crossroads Gun Shows here in southern California. There is a vendor who reloads it and it works very well. It is still really expensive, so when we go to shoot the Arisakas we only run a few rounds through them. My friends truly enjoy it! I will definitely avoid the Precision product as I have seen other complaints about it.

13. Thank You to Singer B For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast