Today @ 05:48 AM
    Real Name
    kevin muffett
    Local Date
    04-20-2024
    Local Time
    01:41 PM

Now what was it called again?

Been re reading some old files while chasing info for a member, Mainly pertaining to Factory Rifle Inspections.

Well, sometimes I confuse myself, but these buggers don't help.
    So what exactly do we call the bit the barrel screws too, the boys at Enfield Lock call it the body. Well that's a fail in the dictionary.
    Body, action gets a mention, "that portion of a firearm which houses and protects the breech mechanism.....often referred to as the body, erroneously called the action and called the receiver by the Americans."
    The Aussies call it the block until finish machined, then the action until assembly is complete, then it becomes either the action or receiver depending on who writes the precis.

This also depends on what type of firearm it is.

PL would call it the bit wot holds the bolt thingy and the long bored handle screws too...got me buggered, why you blokes constantly call for the correct wording when even the blokes that made them can't get it right.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

2. Thank You to muffett.2008 For This Useful Post:

Last On
    Today @ 06:59 PM
    Real Name
    Alan De Enfield
    Local Date
    04-20-2024
    Local Time
    04:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by muffett.2008 View Post
    o what exactly do we call the bit the barrel screws too, the boys at Enfield Lock call it the body.
    I have always known it as the "action" but the manufacturers and the UKicon Military (notably Peter Laidlericon) call it the "Body"

Extracts from some of Peters 'articles'

But don’t get the impression that it was just barrels where the breeching up threads were slightly out of index. It was the rifle bodies too.

The rifle body is induction hardened at these points to a depth of .004 - .006" but we have found it deeper.

It's main use was as the final arbiter as to whether a body was worn out.
    Mine are not the best, but they are not too bad. I can think of lots of Enfields I'd rather have but instead of constantly striving for more, sometimes it's good to be satisfied with what one has...

4. Thank You to Alan de Enfield For This Useful Post:

5. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
    Last On
    04-17-2024 @ 02:04 AM
    Local Date
    04-20-2024
    Local Time
    Well, according to Lithgowicon Drawing A.5688, "Layout of Rifle and Appurtenance Components" it is called "The Body", In the assembly sequence, it is component No. 2 (the barrel is No.1) The factory drawing , A-126 (1944 and superseding a 1915 edition) simply refers to the component in question as "Pce. No2 Body".

The "body" is eventually an assembly including parts numbered; 3.- Guide, Charger, Body and the three assembly rivets; 3A- Medium, 3B - Short and 3C - Long, AND the two tiny hardened pins, (Pce No. 53), Pin, Stop, Locking Bolt) that act as the detentes for the "Bolt, Locking", (safety lever).

The "assembled" body comes up as Pce No 342 and carries the additional "Vocab". Number of BB0595. that being the number assigned to a finished, assembled "body", complete with charger guide and the two tiny, hardened intended for assembly or as a spare.

In earlier parlance, dating back to the Snider and possibly earlier? , the piece that contained the "bolt" and which was attached to the barrel, was called the SHOE".

Those old codgers would probably look at you funny if you started talking about " receivers".

7. Thank You to Bruce_in_Oz For This Useful Post:

Last On
    04-16-2024 @ 02:22 PM
    Local Date
    04-20-2024
    Local Time
    I call it a body, but I suppose as said it changes with context. Sometimes in some context, i.e. the logistics chain it was called (later in service) ‘The master component’. As long as it’s not blatantly wrong then I don’t see many trying to correct the term used.

Last On
    Real Name
    Alan De Enfield
    Local Date
    04-20-2024
    Local Time
    Instruction to Armourers - Parts List shows it as a 'Body' and a 'Body Assembly'

Part number 26 (No1 Mk3)
    Parts 2 & 14 (No 4)
    Last edited by Alan de Enfield; 11-13-2019 at 10:06 AM.
    Mine are not the best, but they are not too bad. I can think of lots of Enfields I'd rather have but instead of constantly striving for more, sometimes it's good to be satisfied with what one has...

Last On
    12-11-2023 @ 05:45 PM
    Local Date
    04-20-2024
    Local Time
    03:41 AM
    I always call it the action but indeed the correct term is rifle body...

Last On
    Real Name
    Alan De Enfield
    Local Date
    04-20-2024
    Local Time
    SAID Drawings.

Body and Body with Barrel.

12. Thank You to Alan de Enfield For This Useful Post:

Last On
    03-29-2021 @ 03:01 PM
    Local Date
    04-19-2024
    Local Time
    11:41 PM
    "...the bit the barrel screws too..." Too means 'also'.
    "...call it the "Body"..." The rest of the world calls it the receiver
    Spelling and Grammar count!

Contributing Member muffett.2008's Avatar
    Last On
    Today @ 05:48 AM
    Real Name
    kevin muffett
    Local Date
    04-20-2024
    Local Time
    The Specification to govern Manufacture and Inspection 1909 calls it the body as a breakdown of parts on page 1 and 4, but by page 6 para.16, "the barrel will be submitted with the action attached for proof" (….so now we have a component with other parts attached) but by para 18 reverts to body again(but no moving parts attached) para 20 and 21 deals with the gauging of the body complete with fixed parts, no bolt or sears. Para 47 calls it the body for checking markings, but by para 47. a. it calls it the action and refers to smooth operation of the bolt.

India Inspections list it as the body, but Lithgowicon calls it the body, but then the action when assembled and tested.

Instructions to the Lithgow Inspectorate call it the body, action when assembled as per the Brit. Precis, but a memo dated 1922 with F.E. Harts name, referring to changes in Inspections, para 5. calls it Receiver, as does para 6(field Armourers).

Now I'd give Hart the benefit of the doubt here, my understanding was that he was either at Enfield Lock or in transit, so it's possible this memo may have been produced by Ratcliffe the Manager, he was a yank. But it just goes to show that if you are referring to the recent forging, block would be correct, the body then would be the bare assembly, action would include bolt and moving parts.....receiver, well that's with magazine and feeding rounds I guess.

Last On
    Real Name
    Alan De Enfield
    Local Date
    04-20-2024
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by muffett.2008 View Post
    The Specification to govern Manufacture and Inspection 1909 calls it the body as a breakdown of parts on page 1 and 4, but by page 6 para.16, "the barrel will be submitted with the action attached for proof" (….so now we have a component with other parts attached) but by para 18 reverts to body again(but no moving parts attached) para 20 and 21 deals with the gauging of the body complete with fixed parts, no bolt or sears. Para 47 calls it the body for checking markings, but by para 47. a. it calls it the action and refers to smooth operation of the bolt.

India Inspections list it as the body, but Lithgowicon calls it the body, but then the action when assembled and tested.

Instructions to the Lithgow Inspectorate call it the body, action when assembled as per the Brit. Precis, but a memo dated 1922 with F.E. Harts name, referring to changes in Inspections, para 5. calls it Receiver, as does para 6(field Armourers).

Now I'd give Hart the benefit of the doubt here, my understanding was that he was either at Enfield Lock or in transit, so it's possible this memo may have been produced by Ratcliffe the Manager, he was a yank. But it just goes to show that if you are referring to the recent forging, block would be correct, the body then would be the bare assembly, action would include bolt and moving parts.....receiver, well that's with magazine and feeding rounds I guess.
    By 1945 it appears to be the "Body Assembly" which consists of the "Body" and all it additional components.

The No4 had a "Body Mk1" which was for the No4 Mk1 rifle, and a "Body Mk2" which was for the No4 Mk1* rifle.

There was also Mk1, Mk2 and Mk3 barrels (5-groove, 2-groove and 'fabricated')
    Last edited by Alan de Enfield; 11-14-2019 at 07:31 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast