Last On
    08-31-2021 @ 05:41 PM
    Local Date
    04-25-2024
    Local Time
    03:29 PM

Need rifles for sculpture

Hi all,
    I am a sculptor from CT. I wasn't sure where to post this but this seemed a logical choice. I am working on a WW1 memorial that may or may not become a monument. (long story) Whether it does or not I want it to be accurate. I have attached a picture of the work as it stands right now. I have made a trip to the museum in Kansas City and photographed uniforms, rifles and field gear. I have hooked up with the GWA in PA and have had members come to pose for me. My biggest problem has always been the rifles. I work in terra cotta and it is really hard to get the detail needed for accurate depiction of rifles. There is also the fact that the sculpted rifles would be prone to breaking. I have just recently come across a way to do them which is rather expensive but seems to work well. I found a company here in CT that will scan the rifles into a 3D program and then print them in 1/4 size. (which is the scale of my sculpture) I can then make molds of the printouts and then cast them in the same material the sculpture will be cast in. I have gotten a Lee-Enfield to scan but I have yet to find someone with a Berthier 07/15 or a Belgian 1889 long rifle. I have a few feelers out for the Berthier to some folks in NYC but haven't heard back yet. I found this site while doing research and thought I would reach out and see if there might be someone here who had either of these rifles and, hopefully, lived fairly close to me and might be willing to work out something with me to get the gun to the scanner.
    Sorry for the long post but there was a lot to say. Thanks for your time.

Attachment 103840
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

2. The Following 7 Members Say Thank You to Scojoh For This Useful Post: