+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Loose rear retainer ring

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Loose rear retainer ring

My recently acquired No4 MK1* has a rear top forehand, retainer ring that is loose and floating. it is even loose an floating with the rear wood intact. I have no history on this gun and don't have any idea what may have been changed out previously. I've had a sporterized No4 MK1 for many years that I inherited and that is the extent of my Enfield knowledge. I have researched many places to find a reason or if a new retainer ring is in order and how to install. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 PM ----------

To further clarify, with the furniture installed, the gap is pretty substantial. Can I shim this or do I need to replace? Thanks again

The rear hand guard ring may be from another model of rifle, this rifle could be a put together from a sporter? There are so many rear rings that if you don't know for sure you may have one that looks close but isn't...

Pics?
    Regards, Jim

Yes, it could be that the wood is dry & has contracted a little over time, or as BAR says, it might be the wrong handguard retaining ring altogether. IIRC a while back we had someone with a similar problem & it turned out that the ring fitted to his No4 was from a P'14/M'17 Enfield. They look the same at a glance, but are bigger. Pictures could be a big help here.
    Last edited by Roger Payne; 01-31-2020 at 11:36 AM. Reason: addendum

Comically, I've been rejuvenating the wood this week with tru-oil and I reassembled tonight to take a picture and it was a snug fit...Go figure

Nice to know the problem was relatively straight-forward to fix!

+ Reply to Thread