Last On
    Today @ 11:26 AM
    Real Name
    Ovidio Gentiloni
    Local Date
    04-23-2024
    Local Time
    08:24 PM

Exclamation When it really happens: SHTF...

My dear friends, these are very strange days here in Italyicon.
    My humble opinion is that an extremely bad management of the communication in these times of crises will cause our country, and also a lot of poor people, enormous damage and suffering.
    I’m talking about that damned Covid-19.
    It has hit the country hard and keeps encroaching and spreading.
    People are starting to panic and the government does not seem to be able to communicate in a reasonable way.
    Yesterday evening there was a “leak” about new measures for the containment of the virus, among them the seizure of the whole of Lombardy plus 14 other provinces of the North. Practically 50% of Italy’s GDP was said to be put in quarantine. The immediate reaction has been that thousands of people coming from other parts of Italy, mostly the South, immediately started moving towards home, by train, bus, car... A brainless move that will only spread the virus to the weakest parts of the country, where there is no comparable infrastructure (as here in the North) to even try and cope with this tragedy.
    There is a really unreal atmosphere here in my town these days... Everything is quiet, no schools since 10 days and already more or less confirmed closure until the 3rd of April. And that is only the start, I fear.
    Here we are still in a fairly quiet area, no real assaults yet on grocery stores, but maybe tomorrow will be different. There is now this seizure that comes to within a few kilometers from here and the chaotic situation, where no-one really knows what is real, what is fake, who knows something and who just talks because he needs to air his mouth.
    I have already learned a few very important lessons.
    1. Select your sources of information as good as you can. Leave opinion leaders, politicians and other non competent people out. Just listen to doctors, nurses and police. They are in the same boat and have clear tasks. They don’t look for your vote and are normally not ideologically bent on trying to win you for some crazy idea. They are your only real and, within the limits of their competence, sincere allies.
    2. Stop moving around. Go only where you really need to go and do not overcrowd any place. Yesterday I went to the bakery in town (well before the new regulations) and saw that the place was full, although there were already provisions prohibiting to have more than three customers inside at anytime. I waited outside and told everybody after me about this. No one argued and within a few minutes the situation was under control and according to the provisions from the authorities. So, example is important. Respect all provisions and new emergency rulings and show it. Most people will automatically comply.
    3. I never had a SHTF plan, although, as a former soldier, I always kept in mind that I might need one. Now it could be the time. Not yet, but who knows how things will develop... I have a wife and three kids. They WILL be safe, if not from the disease, from everything else. I raised my DEFCON to 3 right now. I will check the situation in the shops and see if it might be necessary to start stocking up a little. I don’t like the idea and will refrain as long as possible, but maybe a few items... Situational awareness will be critical from now on. A tad late, but I admit I thought that would never really happen. I know better now.
    4. Talk to the family. Easy tone, clear words. It is not necessary to get anybody scared, but they need to know that a special and challenging situation is developing. They will be safe, but maybe there will be some different rules to follow within a short time. Kids are great, they can adapt quickly if they understand what is going on. I have mine studying through Internet channels or online systems, living almost the usual way, just a bit more confined, but not agitated or scared.
    5. I’m lucky. I have a well in my yard, pumping up fresh and clean water, so the biggest trouble for a critical time, water, should be averted. But a shortage of water right now would really make me worry. I don’t think there is an emergency justifying any panic, but people don’t always react correctly, and if panic should break out, my fear is that also all public works, including water supply, might fail. I can live without electricity and gas, but water... That is not a worry to me now, but would have been had I been living anywhere else.
    6. I’m glad I always keep some commercial ammo handy. For my shotgun, for my handguns and for some rifles. I’ll be ok if everything goes south, even though I believe in my reloads, I always wanted to have some commercial ammo just in case. I have it and can be relaxed about this. I’m sure I will never need it...am I?
    7. I’m glad that I live in Italy, so I have bidets in the bathrooms. I won’t need to worry in case of a shortage of toilet paper.

All of this just because I needed to...say or write down what I’m feeling these days.
    It is so strange, so out of the ordinary...
    Friends of mine in the military Red Cross keep telling me about the tragic situation in the intensive care stations of our hospitals. That this whole situation is not a joke at all. People are dying and the medical personnel are starting to select who they will treat and who they won’t, since there are not enough resources.

My life is still 90% normal, tomorrow I’ll be in my office, but, since almost two weeks, all the installations, all the maintenance jobs, all Factory Acceptance Tests and also all my trips to customers have been cancelled.
    Other European countries will probably follow on a similar path. I just hope they will receive better information than we did.

Now that I could vent... I feel better.
    Take care folks.
    I’ll keep posting.
    Maybe that will be helpful for others.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    34a cp., btg. Susa, 3° rgt. Alpini

2. The Following 15 Members Say Thank You to Ovidio For This Useful Post: