Thread: UK Workshop made assault ladder and breaking tool.

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Threaded View

Last On
    12-16-2021 @ 04:11 AM
    Local Date
    04-24-2024
    Local Time
    01:29 PM

UK Workshop made assault ladder and breaking tool.

I've been trying to think of a way of not sounding like a complete Walt and not come up with a way so please forgive me and be gentle.

I'm getting rid of my collection so have been digging things out, some of which I didn't even know I had.

Normally I'd only touch Issue kit but in these two case I actaully bought them to use, being tools of sorts. They were cheap and fulfilled perceived rolls.

About 20 years back, maybe 25 I was looking for a escape ladder i could keep in the bottom of a wardrobe on the first floor. I was going to Johnsons O Leeds a big warehouse army surplus place on the edge of Leeds quite often and for not very much I aquired a workshop made sectional ladder.

Thats just 12 sections with the end pieces and is about 12 foot high,

In all there's 21 sections, a top and a bottom end piece, 20 pegs ( I suspect there should be one more or one of the sections is a spare ) and one double peg. So it can be made about 20 foot long. Its made from thick aluminium. A peg and a sectio weigh just unde 2lb.

Here,s a pic of the various components with two sections of the oblong bits.

My question is, does anyone recognise it as a type commonly made? It neatly fits into one of those wooden bottomed issue canvas shopping bag things, I used to store it in one of those but now use that for tools.

Johnsons used to get lots of ratty smocks and trials kits like the Centreforge stove ( which I also had one of for a while) that were in battered boxes with Hereford addresses on them, the staff at the shop used to imply everything was SAS kit (There's the Walt bit ) .

When we moved I replaced it with one of those bar and chain roll up escape ladders. So any thoughts on that one?

The other thing I acquired for a few quid was a breaching tool I thought would be useful in the car, to smash the glass or lever a door open if we had another bad crash. Again no markings but very well made.

It can be opened with one hand, pull down the switch at the bottom of the slot, flick your wrist and it locks firmly open, To close pull the knurled cap up and the blade folds down. It feels military rather than any rescue service. I stopped carrying it in the car when a mate pointed out its practically a war pick!

Anyroad does anyone recognise the type, which unit workshop was making them, anything really?

ATB

Tom
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by tombear; 03-10-2020 at 10:17 AM.