I was ratting through a box of long tucked away Mauser sundries looking for a 96 Mauser extractor for a friend.

I found two; one all on its lonesome and the other on a complete bolt assembly.

This is not your basic Swedishicon military bolt, however.

It has a properly forged turned-down bolt handle that has been properly "scooped" for scope clearance.

The entire assembly has been blued, and blued very professionally, at some stage.

The kickers are the Dayton-Traister Mk2 low-swing safety and the absence of the usual knurled cocking "bump" at the rear of the striker-sleeve / sear piece.

What I suspect I have here is one for the Husquvarna M-96 sporters from many decades ago. I am familiar with their 98 based sporters, but this is the first "commercial" 96 component I have seen.

Apparently they made them in the 8 x 63 (Swede MG round) for export and 9.3 x 62, basically a wildcatted 8 x 62 for Scandinavian hunting customers. These cartridges have the same "fat' body and rim sized as a 6.5 x 55 and 7,6 Swissicon, but are a lot less tapered and so hold a LOT of powder.

I wonder if the relatively new .358 Norma Magnum was not a little inspired by these older cartridges.

Apparently 9.3 x 62 is an approved moose-hunting cartridge in those parts; thus, I suspect the old '96 is not as "flimsy" as some would imagine.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.