Hello everyone, hope you're all doing well. I've a new-to-me Eddystone 1917 that needs some TLC to get up and running. I'm not trying to make a collector's item, just want a safely functioning rifle. I think the last time it was fired was twenty years ago, and it's been bouncing around the family without anyone taking care of it.

The stock that's on it is the one it came with when it was bought in the Fifties, and there are no major cracks in it that I can see. It looks like there was something for a sling on the underside of the butt-stock, but nothing up forward. The original rear sight is gone, and an adjustable open sight is attached to the barrel. The barrel has five rifling grooves so I think it's the original. There is light rust in spots all over the place. The action cycles fine.

The first thing I did with the barrel was run a copper bore brush though it, then blew some air down it. Out came a small orange cloud, so I went to town with patches and solvent. The patches come out clean now and the bore looks smooth when I look down it with a light on the other end but shining a light into the muzzle still shows a faint orange. I don't know how well the chroming on these old barrels is expected to age. The muzzle itself doesn’t have any visible damage, and I ran a straightedge along the barrel. Didn’t find any bulges or cracks. About cracks, are the rumors about cracked receivers debunked, or should I be concerned?

So, from what I understand the rifle should still be safe to shoot, since it hasn’t been used enough to lose headspacing, though I don’t know how well the wood stock will have aged strength-wise. Do hardwood stocks last over the decade, or should I look into an aftermarket stock like one from Richards Microfit Stocks? As for needing a new barrel, is the only real way to know if I need one is to take it to the range? I’m not sure how easy it will be for me to judge the rifle’s accuracy with the open sights. I've always been into guns, but I don’t have a huge amount of experience actually shooting them.

Also, what recommendations does anyone have for refinishing the rifle? I think if the barrel's lining is intact, getting the rifle parkerized would be good enough. Is there any risk to the wood if the receiver is removed by a professional? And any competent gunsmith will know how to replace the barrel if needed, with the relief cuts and such? The top of the receiver has been machined into a shallow arc. Is that the Remington Model 30 style? For scope mounts and things like that?
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.