+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Linley co 20 round magazine

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
  1. #11
    Member lithgow1918's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Last On
    Today @ 02:19 AM
    Location
    America
    Posts
    41
    Local Date
    05-29-2020
    Local Time
    01:20 AM
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottage Hill Bill View Post
    The picture is mine. I posted that picture of one of my No.1 MkIs and the 20 round mag either here or on the gunboards forum several years ago. The late tony Edwards used it in a lecture he gave, The SMLE (Short Magazine Lee Enfield) .303 Infantry Rifle
    I wrote to Tony to ask that he give a photo credit on the slide, but sadly he had entered the final stages of his illness. Since then I have seen the photo circulating on the web a fair bit. My understanding is that about 120,000 were made. Some were used in some of the experimental semi-auto SMLEs, probably in the low double digits, if that many. Some were used in a few other experimental weapons, again I would guess in very low numbers. Most were scrapped. When I got mine I asked Ian Skennertonicon about them. He told me he knew of about 10 in private collections and maybe a few more than that in various museums. I know of one other one in the US.
    I am aware of, from auctions at least two,one that sold at witherls(I think) on an smle with a trench stock and Flanders flap, and the one on the howell automatic rifle. In addition there is Paul breaky's which I suppose could have been one of the two but I doubt it. I tend to believe there are at least a few hidden in the woodwork, as recently/ currently there is a previously unknown one made for a no 4 going up for auction. I'm sorry to here about Tony's passing, I think I read something about it on a forum. From what I can tell he has contributed alot to the community, and is sorely missed.

  2. # ADS
    Friends and Sponsors
    Join Date
    October 2006
    Location
    Milsurps.Com
    Posts
    All Threads
     

  3. #12
    Advisory Panel Lance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Last On
    Yesterday @ 02:37 PM
    Location
    New England, USA
    Posts
    473
    Local Date
    05-29-2020
    Local Time
    02:20 AM
    One just sold last week at auction. I cannot remember the final price but it was way north of $1000

  4. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
  5. #13
    Advisory Panel
    Roger Payne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last On
    Yesterday @ 08:09 PM
    Location
    Sutton Coldfield, UK.
    Posts
    2,661
    Local Date
    05-29-2020
    Local Time
    07:20 AM
    Years ago they had one at Alfred J Parker's; I tried to prize it off Ma but she wasn't having it, as it was part of the family collection (mostly stuff that her father had amassed). At the end, when we got into the place with her niece & great nephew, it had disappeared along with a lot of other stuff. It may simply have been sold off to some lucky punter after Edna's death, when the shop was run for, but not by, her great niece. A lot of items were sold off then, & often at far lesser prices than Edna would have accepted!

    I thought I read somewhere that the 20 rounders were ordered to be destroyed at some point following WW1, perhaps after being found unsuitable for the VB or derivative.......
    Last edited by Roger Payne; 03-28-2020 at 07:56 AM.

  6. #14
    Really Senior Member Daan Kemp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Last On
    Yesterday @ 12:03 PM
    Location
    Centurion RSA
    Posts
    535
    Local Date
    05-29-2020
    Local Time
    08:20 AM
    Real Name
    Daan Kemp
    Anybody have any ideas of making a 20 rounder from two magazines? I would love to have one for my shooting competitions.


  7. #15
    Advisory Panel Nigel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last On
    05-22-2020 @ 05:31 PM
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    162
    Local Date
    05-29-2020
    Local Time
    01:20 AM

    British trialled the Hotchkiss 1922 using the 20 round SMLE mag

    There is one of these in the Warminster collection. I've got some pictures on my desktop PC but it was quicker to go online. The mag is the 20 round SMLE mag. I once owned one of the leather pouches which held a single mag but swapped it for a No.2 MkIV.
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hotchkiss1922C.jpg‎
Views:	95
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	106511   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hotchkiss1922.jpg‎
Views:	93
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	106512   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hotchkiss1922B.jpg‎
Views:	92
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	106513  

  8. Thank You to Nigel For This Useful Post:


  9. #16
    Advisory Panel breakeyp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last On
    Yesterday @ 08:15 AM
    Location
    near Detroit Michigan
    Age
    73
    Posts
    881
    Local Date
    05-29-2020
    Local Time
    02:20 AM
    For some strange reason, I don't have pictures of my magazine and leather carrier. For what it is worth, the leather carrier only holds one magazine.

  10. #17
    Member lithgow1918's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Last On
    Today @ 02:19 AM
    Location
    America
    Posts
    41
    Local Date
    05-29-2020
    Local Time
    01:20 AM
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by breakeyp View Post
    For some strange reason, I don't have pictures of my magazine and leather carrier. For what it is worth, the leather carrier only holds one magazine.
    A leather carrier just sold for £350 on some militaria site and I saw pictures of it. It was tempting but other things called.

    ---------- Post added at 11:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    One just sold last week at auction. I cannot remember the final price but it was way north of $1000
    Yeah, they keep going up. At one point apparently, they would go up on eBay with relative frequency, but it seems they have all fallen into collections at this point. I'd love to have one, but realistically the most I can spend on one now is like $500.

    ---------- Post added at 11:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Payneicon View Post
    Years ago they had one at Alfred J Parker's; I tried to prize it off Ma but she wasn't having it, as it was part of the family collection (mostly stuff that her father had amassed). At the end, when we got into the place with her niece & great nephew, it had disappeared along with a lot of other stuff. It may simply have been sold off to some lucky punter after Edna's death, when the shop was run for, but not by, her great niece. A lot of items were sold off then, & often at far lesser prices than Edna would have accepted!

    I thought I read somewhere that the 20 rounders were ordered to be destroyed at some point following WW1, perhaps after being found unsuitable for the VB or derivative.......
    That's the main story I have heard. About the vb thing. The thing is I have yet to see a full picture of one so it's hard to say. One strange thing is that most of the survivors I have seen are in realtivly good condition. My suspicion is that most of them come from the 30,000 sent to weedon that were never issued. Although that's just speculation based on the few I've seen. Frankly I'd put my estimate of number in the collectors market at closer to 15 at it's height, with some having been taken by museums since.

    ---------- Post added at 11:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Daan Kemp View Post
    Anybody have any ideas of making a 20 rounder from two magazines? I would love to have one for my shooting competitions.
    If I were to attempt it, I might go the route of adapting a Vickers berthier magazine. It coul totally not work, but I've never heard of anyone trying. Apparently been mags aren't easy to covert.

    ---------- Post added at 11:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    There is one of these in the Warminster collection. I've got some pictures on my desktop PC but it was quicker to go online. The mag is the 20 round SMLE mag. I once owned one of the leather pouches which held a single mag but swapped it for a No.2 MkIV.
    Thank you so much for the pictures. I've been wondering the model for ages. I am relatively new to the whole collecting thing, and I really appreciate everyone's willingness to help.

  11. Thank You to lithgow1918 For This Useful Post:


  12. #18
    Advisory Panel Surpmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Last On
    @
    Location
    Gold Mountain
    Posts
    3,130
    Local Date
    05-28-2020
    Local Time
    11:20 PM
    Given that they were loaded from stripper clips anyway, you might wonder why they didn't go for 15 rounders instead: some advantage with less disadvantage?

    It would take quite a thumb to push the last clip in I suspect.
    "Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." W.L.S.C..

  13. #19
    Member lithgow1918's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Last On
    Today @ 02:19 AM
    Location
    America
    Posts
    41
    Local Date
    05-29-2020
    Local Time
    01:20 AM
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Surpmil View Post
    Given that they were loaded from stripper clips anyway, you might wonder why they didn't go for 15 rounders instead: some advantage with less disadvantage?

    It would take quite a thumb to push the last clip in I suspect.
    Apparently they experimented with 15 rounders, although I suspect only having 5 extra wasn't deemed worthwhile.

  14. Thank You to lithgow1918 For This Useful Post:


  15. #20
    Member Melanie_Daniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last On
    05-26-2020 @ 02:57 AM
    Posts
    80
    Local Date
    05-29-2020
    Local Time
    01:20 AM
    This was sold on a Germanicon Arms fair - as a Vickers-Berthier magazine.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 1a1 5 round magazine
    By free1954 in forum WTS/WTB/WTT (Want to Sell, Buy or Trade) Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-05-2020, 09:52 AM
  2. 30 Round Magazine
    By Chalk_2 in forum M1/M2 Carbine
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-07-2013, 10:02 PM
  3. 30 round magazine...why?
    By mgbill in forum M16A2/AR15A2 Rifles
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-30-2012, 09:17 AM
  4. Please help ID old 30 round magazine
    By colreed in forum Milsurps General Discussion Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-10-2010, 10:38 PM
  5. 30 Round Magazine
    By JohnL in forum M1/M2 Carbine
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-18-2010, 05:38 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts