Hello folks, I've noticed a wealth of knowledge on these pages. I've been researching U464 for a while now and I wonder if there are any submarine buffs here as members who might give me some pointers to more than i have found out already.
Basicaly U464 left Bergen in Norwayicon in 14 August 1942. Somewhere between the Farao Islands and Iceland on 20th August the U Boat was spotted above the surface by a US Coastal Command PBY Catalina. Bombed and damaged, subsequently scuttled, Crew where picked up by an Icelandic fishing vessel Skaftiellingur. Transfered to HMS Newark and HMS Castleton.
The Crew where to spend the rest of the war as prisoners.
I've basically got all the info that available on the internet, which is far more than than i started out with. Particularly interesting would be actual interrogation reports of individual crew, and hints on how to track and trace their internment.
The reason i'm interested in this U Boot is that my wife's Grandad was a chief petty officer on board. Obersteuermann.
Is there anyone on here who knows thier way into prisoner of war records?
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.