Mostly I have not been that accurate with the 1917s, even with the S&K non intrusive scope mount.

Decided to sort through the collection and sell off a couple or three, I wanted to get serious look for the most accurate one or two to keep.

So I figured also check the basics and as its a JA barrel, it should be more standard to a 1903. Did the COAL check and, hmm, that seriously long. Double check, yep, its more like a Sako Finnbear than a 1903.

So I built my dummy to cross check, yep, COAL to the tip is like 3.830. Hmm. Ok, I have some left over test loads for the target 06. Pop those out to 3.780 (on the Ogive)

Off to the range. Got on center target more or less at 50 yards as had not had the S&K on for a while (I had to search for it) Confirm close to center at 100, then extended 3 (kinetic bullet removal to move the bullets out and then use my seater to put to spec)

Hmm, not bad, at least for a 1917, so 2 more for a group of 5, so so, 3 inches or so.

Attachment 112919

Ok, I have 7 more with a grain more of the same powder. Adjust 5, fire, I can't see where I am hitting other than the first one (its snowing). Looks like they are all close with 3 but not sure, ok, two more, hmm, snowing hard but it looks like its a cluster down there.

Ok, what the heck extend the last 3, ok, those I can see, but they are all close

Attachment 112920

When I got down there, it was, sheese. This one is a keeper as is the load. 7 in 1 1/4 inches is worth writing home about. I could barely see the dot to shoot at.

I was shooting at the red dot, just seeing what it grouped, not trying to fine tune to a bullseye.

Ok, the Eddy JA is one keeper. It doesn't get a lot better than that, no bedding, a rattly 102 year old stock, no pressure point, dim dot in the snow and floating head off the stock as the S&K is high so would need to add materiel to get one.

I run a custom target 06 I have shot a lot. I have the basics down ok, certainly no Annie Oakley. All in the gun.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.