After much searching, I managed to find bayonet for my Remington P14. Previous ones I had found had outrageous prices or looked a little dubious, but mostly they were simply non-existent. So, for a good price, and a relatively local find, I'm pretty happy with what I have.

I checked the markings in my reference books, and everything looks in order, however, I'm not 100% sure about the finish. Compared to my SMLE 1907 pattern bayonet, it seems to have had the metal components of the scabbard painted, as well as part of the hilt.

It looks similar to the black paint used on NO.4 Savage Lee- Enfields', but poorer quality, and nowhere near as neat as on the NO 5 carbine. Sorry no pics, as I can't get them to load, but was wondering if anyone knows how they were originally finished.

Although the paint is scratched and patchy, I don't want to remove it if it is original. My P14 is totally original and un-restored, and looks fine as is, so I would like to keep the bayonet in character. Any advice is greatly appreciated
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.