Today @ 12:14 AM
    Real Name
    Brian Brown
    Local Date
    03-29-2024
    Local Time
    04:18 AM

L42A1 on Gunbroker

I was taking a look at this one. Seems to have a very well traveled bracket with many previous serial numbers.

What is odd to me is that it appears a previous scope number was ground out of the butt stock and had a matching one applied. If the scope was replaced in service wouldn't they have struck out the old scope number and applied the new one below it?

This one looks a bit suspicious to me but I'm no expert.

For your viewing pleasure:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/898479571

Brian
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

Last On
    @
    Local Date
    03-29-2024
    Local Time
    04:18 AM
    Buttstock butchery is not per the SOP so some knob here in NA did that. You are correct about the renumbering.

The repeated re-numberings of the bracket just reflect the swapping and changing that went on towards the end of the L42's life, or so we are told.
    “There are invisible rulers who control the destinies of millions. It is not generally realized to what extent the words and actions of our most influential public men are dictated by shrewd persons operating behind the scenes.”

Edward Bernays, 1928

Much changes, much remains the same.

3. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
    Last On
    02-28-2024 @ 11:09 AM
    Home of The Parachute Regiment & 16 Air Assault Brigade
    Real Name
    Gil Boyd
    Local Date
    03-29-2024
    Local Time
    11:18 AM
    Would you buy it?
    'Tonight my men and I have been through hell and back again, but the look on your faces when we let you out of the hall - we'd do it all again tomorrow.' Major Chris Keeble's words to Goose Green villagers on 29th May 1982 - 2 PARA

Contributing Member desperatedan's Avatar
    Last On
    03-27-2024 @ 07:14 PM
    Real Name
    Kev D.
    Local Date
    03-29-2024
    Local Time
    I would.

It seems to be in excellent condition e.g. the front pad looks like its never been disturbed since first fitted, little wear on the finish, etc.

The butt looks like it's a Long Branch made one going by the stamps pictured, shame about the messy numbering update on the wrist. As mentioned above multiple scope numbers on the bracket are common, my one has at least two others barred out on it.

Pity there's no scope tin or transit case, etc with it. I'd buy it and repatriate it to the UKicon if I could, I have a spare transit case just waiting for one! I'll bet this will no doubt be far better value in the US than the few we see for sale in the UK - around 12-14K USD over here with scope tin and transit case!
    Last edited by desperatedan; 04-23-2021 at 05:48 AM.

Last On
    02-28-2024 @ 11:09 AM
    Home of The Parachute Regiment & 16 Air Assault Brigade
    Real Name
    Gil Boyd
    Local Date
    03-29-2024
    Local Time
    Kev,
    I probably would at the right price which wouldn't be the current high prices for a complete L42A1 rifle without the ancillaries.

Agreed action L42A1 stamp is correct and practically impossible to fake without being detected under a microscope, as is the M47C 1944 stamp on the wrist band, the unrelated numbered magazine H35572 is not on the L42 lists but H35571 is!!

M33834 does appear on the official L42A1 lists as leaving Donnington on conversion 7th May 1971 batch of ten rifles.

The spurious 1945 and crows foot on the scope are sad to see, as is the poor stamp 28911 into the woodwork at the wrist. Would have been best left alone IMHO.

Not mentioned but appears present is the S stamp on the right side forward of the ejection port.

As far as the bolt goes, I would need to examine the proof stamp and 19T a bit more closely to be convinced but could simply have been over painted.

Conclusion: at the right price, a nice project to get it where it should be in the legends of L42A1's IMHO
    'Tonight my men and I have been through hell and back again, but the look on your faces when we let you out of the hall - we'd do it all again tomorrow.' Major Chris Keeble's words to Goose Green villagers on 29th May 1982 - 2 PARA

Contributing Member desperatedan's Avatar
    Last On
    03-27-2024 @ 07:14 PM
    Real Name
    Kev D.
    Local Date
    03-29-2024
    Local Time
    Gil,

The scope looks to be one of the very last no 32s made. According to Peter's little book Kershaw made the last batch numbered 28000 to 29000, dated into 1946. So 28911 is within the last 100 Mk3s made.

Also on Kershaw scopes (AK&S) you'll see the crows foot under the date and you can just make out the "..&S" of AK&S before the serial number which of course wasn't barred out when the scopes where converted to L1A1s. So that scope looks all good to me, nothing added, nothing taken away.

Kev

8. Thank You to desperatedan For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread