My son and I went to the range yesterday with my 1873 trapdoor to see how she faired. I was relieved that the thing did now blow apart. Weather was beautiful at around 75 degrees with a light 5 mile an hour wind. I shot 100 yard and 200 yard targets. At first I did not hit paper until I lowered my aim. I managed a decent (for me) 8 inch grouping at 100 yards and most of my shots hit paper at 200 yards. I figure I will get better as I get used to the rifle. I was shooting Black Hills 405 grain loads which are very accurate. Overall impressions were good. Not too bad of a recoil due to the weight of the rifle. I initially thought the loading procedure would take too long between shots, but once you get a routine down, it goes pretty fast. My son was brave enough to shoot the trapdoor which you can see in the pic below. I also took my 1896 Kragicon out, which turned out to be a blast! Pics are below.

Me finishing up my shot

My son just shot
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.