+ Reply to Thread

Thread: When did Springfield go to the '06 cartridge?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Last On
    @

When did Springfield go to the '06 cartridge?

Does anyone know what the last serial number was that was produced for the 30-03 cartridge? I know the earlier ones were converted to the '06, just curious when the change was made. I have two rifles, both manufactured in 1906 and was just wondering if they were first made for the 30-03.

Contributing Member
    Last On
    @
    If it helps, according to this unannotated source, it was late in the year, around September, that the .30-06 cartridge was in production, and production of the .30-03 was ended shortly after that.

https://www.oldammo.com/february05.htm

There was never a "cutoff" by serial number, mainly because M1903s weren't usually finished by serial number.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

--George Orwell

OK, I almost replied asking, 'is this a "who was buried in Grant's tomb" joke, but some may not see the humor. But seriously, yes, the .30-03 was a 1903 design and the .03-06 was indeed introduced in 1906. Also keep in mind that many 1903 Model 1903s, if not most were, subsequently rechambered to the -06 and rod bayo changed to the blade bayo.

Interestingly, there is a guy selling on Ebay who makes really great dummy ammo who offers sets of 5 .30-03 dummy rounds (they are pre-WWI/pre-spritzer bullet type as well...I didnt know that). I think Im gonna buy a set...just because! Ive bought a lot of his stuff for my 93 WWI, WWII & Cold War Long Arm museum exhibit called "20th Century Conflict Long Arms" that Im placing in a local museum...almost done, probably open the exhibit formally in late April (Texas Veterans Hall of Fame Museum in Denton, TX...in a 4000sf space in a mall of all places!) He sells the on clips as well including many hard to find WWI clips like the Carcano, GEW 99, Berthier, Steyr M95 as well as pretty much all stripper clips. Prices arent bad at all!

+ Reply to Thread