Thread: Should I Have Passed On This Inland?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Threaded View

Advisory Panel
    Last On
    @
    Real Name
    Bob
    Local Date
    04-25-2024
    Local Time
    03:47 AM

Should I Have Passed On This Inland?

I bought this one about 6 months ago on a hunch of what might be on the inside. It sat for 2-3 months before I decided to pull it apart. First problem was I couldn't get the sling off, and still haven't figured out how the PO got the darn thing on there! I'll show a few pics - I've been wanting to get an idea of what you guys think of it.

I didn't take the bolt apart, but it's marked IO 2 on the left lug and has a Type 1 ejector and firing pin. Other than a couple obvious mods to the stock, my biggest let-down was to find an "in-the-white" Type 3 SG hammer and a 26 coil spring - both look brand new. I spent more time cleaning off verdigris and trying to get the oiler (IS) out (never could) than I did examining the rest of the gun that night! The Op Slide is a Type 2 marked PI without the circle. The Op Slide spring has closed coils on each end that are ground flat. It measures a full 10-1/4" in length and is "in-the-white."

I see an S on the front sight - is it a poorly struck SI? The receiver shows the "two tone" pattern and there's a lighter area where the barrel band would have rested when being finished. The hand guard is unmarked and appears to be a Type 1 "bull-nose" - the stock has the "Julian Date" numbers in the slide channel. There's a circled P on the pistol grip, no import or rebuild marks, but also no CC visible on the RH side.

I've seen another Inland having a UI marked sling swivel with no serifs, but this one has them - hope that's correct. My original plan was to keep this Carbine just like it is - with little if any changes. The (2) previous owners had both served in the US Navy - a WWII veteran and his son, both now gone. I would appreciate any questions and/or comments. If you need more pictures of any area, let me know. Thanks! - Bob

Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by USGI; 05-16-2022 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Originally said hand guard was marked IO - It's not!

2. The Following 5 Members Say Thank You to USGI For This Useful Post: