Threaded View

Last On
    09-19-2023 @ 12:24 AM
    Local Date
    04-18-2024
    Local Time
    02:02 AM

Score: S&W US Model of 1917 .45 ACP Revolver,

Still working part time at a local gun shop and a decent S&W 1917 .45 ACP came in. Original, except missing lanyard ring (though a friend has an original for me). The finish is 50% is or better, and the timing is dead nuts on. Probably not shot much as the bore is bright and rifling is crisp.

It has the US property markings on the bottom of the grip frame, and it has the smooth walnut grips, one of which has a well worn WW2 Civil Defense emblem on it. That is intriguing, as 1917s were drawn from storage to be re-issued, especially at home, in WW II.

I'll post pics of it the next time I go to work, though I did take a picture of the grip with the the Civil Defense logo when I had the grip off, as I have the revolver stripped down and giving it a thorough cleaning.

I did some research. During WW2, some US Police Departments had Civil Defense Auxiliary Police. (see attached badges). This was because of concerns about saboteurs and sabotage. Possibly this revolver might have been used by one of these department's CD auxiliary police.

Civil Defense Badges - Numismatic News

Civil Defense Organization, Insignia, and Ranks

The more I dig, the more I find that WW II Civil Defense Auxiliary Police were very common across the county. I have founds lots of different examples Civil Defense auxiliary Police badges.

I have read somewhere that during WW II, some 1917s were issued to Defense plant guards, as well a CONUS Military Police. I think it is a reasonable assumption that they were also issued to the CD Auxiliary Police. The Federal Government would issue what was available in stores, leaving production for front line weapons.

This from an article that cited Ian Hogg and Bruce Canfield:

"...most of the revolvers were re-issued to stateside security forces and military policemen, but 20,993 of them were issued overseas to "specialty troops such as tankers and artillery personnel" throughout the course of U.S. involvement in lWorld War II."

I would think the Civil Defense Auxiliary Police would be included in those security forces.

This makes me fairly certain that this was my 1917's last duty assignment.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

2. Thank You to imarangemaster For This Useful Post: