Today @ 10:34 AM
    Real Name
    CINDERS
    Local Date
    04-24-2024
    Local Time
    09:37 AM

My latest read

A very large book (signed) compiled by Neville Browning OAM who has done allot of research and books on the AIF and very detailed books they are.
    I have all his titles so far with some commanding good prices, they are a wealth of information.
    He has limited this title to only 750 copies so if your into the AIF history like myself then his books are the go to.
    The typical AU post no care resposibility even though it was bubble wrapped still managed to bump the book they really give me the sh*ts 95% of my H/C titles suffer at the hands of these clowns despite careful packing.

Tigers in combat II was a classic a $200/USD book with a dented and bumped back board..........................
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0669.jpg‎
Views:	87
Size:	1.99 MB
ID:	128848  
    Last edited by CINDERS; 11-11-2022 at 08:57 PM.

2. Thank You to CINDERS For This Useful Post:

Last On
    Today @ 09:07 PM
    Local Date
    04-24-2024
    Local Time
    02:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CINDERS View Post
    The typical AU post no care resposibility even though it was bubble wrapped still managed to bump the book they really give me the sh*ts 95% of my H/C titles suffer at the hands of these clowns despite careful packing.
    Yep I had the same issue a few years ago when I found a copy of a rare book that I had been looking for on eBay and had to pay quite a high, but still good, price for because of it's rarity. The clown in this case was the eBay seller who thought it perfectly acceptable and normal to put a large, A4 size, heavy, hardback book just in a "jiffy bag" with absolutely no additional packaging to protect the book. When I complained to the seller he considered that the damage to the book had nothing to do with him because the "jiffy bag" has a single lining of bubble wrap in it's construction, sufficient to protect a large, heavy book (in his opinion). He wanted me to complain to the post office, because he had been too lazy to properly wrap and protect the book in transit, which I refused to do. After a bit of toing and froing I got an eBay message from him telling me to stick my much sought after book where the sun never shines which I found rather amusing. I didn't want to send the book back because of it's rarity but it was very annoying that the seller couldn't be bothered to wrap it properly.

4. Thank You to Flying10uk For This Useful Post:

5. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
    Last On
    Today @ 10:34 AM
    Real Name
    CINDERS
    Local Date
    04-24-2024
    Local Time
    09:37 AM
    I took on Australiaicon Post over not that single item but other items despite the sellers best intentions the book arrives damaged reply was "All care, No responsibility".
    Whilst it may not matter to some how an item arrives when I buy a new book I hope to receive it in excellent cond, Lances book suffered the same bumping to the spine and edges.

Some ppl dont care and say don't be so pedantic, but I say to them imagine you go down to a car dealership buy a brand new car and they deliver it to you with being keyed down the side and dented in the rear and doors then turning to you and saying well we take reasonable care its your issue now, bye!

When and if I sell a book its in a cardboard postal parcel in Bbl wrap and then gaffer taped to the inside of the box so it cannot slide around and get damaged.

Last On
    Today @ 01:59 PM
    Real Name
    Neil Chuka
    Local Date
    04-23-2024
    Local Time
    08:37 PM
    I took on Australiaicon Post over not that single item but other items despite the sellers best intentions the book arrives damaged reply was "All care, No responsibility".
    Whilst it may not matter to some how an item arrives when I buy a new book I hope to receive it in excellent cond, Lances book suffered the same bumping to the spine and edges.

Some ppl dont care and say don't be so pedantic, but I say to them imagine you go down to a car dealership buy a brand new car and they deliver it to you with being keyed down the side and dented in the rear and doors then turning to you and saying well we take reasonable care its your issue now, bye!

When and if I sell a book its in a cardboard postal parcel in Bbl wrap and then gaffer taped to the inside of the box so it cannot slide around and get damaged.
    Oh, it's not pedantic at all. For any of us who care about our collections, receiving any volume banged up and damaged is well beyond frustrating. I've had exceptional care taken by Canadaicon Post; I've also seen them dump packages obviously containing printed material onto the wet ground (when I have a sheltered small alcove adjacent to my front door.

8. Thank You to StratA For This Useful Post:

Advisory Panel browningautorifle's Avatar
    Last On
    Today @ 08:27 PM
    Real Name
    Jim
    Local Date
    04-23-2024
    Local Time
    06:37 PM
    a dented and bumped back board
    I ordered a copy of "Hatcher's Notebook" after years of waiting for one and it arrived packaged in a bubble wrap envelope with the corners all banged round. Shipper didn't care nor did posties...shoved down in my postbox.
    Regards, Jim

10. Thank You to browningautorifle For This Useful Post:

Last On
    Today @ 05:59 PM
    Local Date
    04-23-2024
    Local Time
    09:37 PM
    My 1917 copy of The Nations at War came via USPS in a bubble mailer. The cover and spine separated in transit. Seller said it wasn't separated before shipping and did not take responsibility.

12. Thank You to BVZ24 For This Useful Post:

Last On
    Local Date
    04-24-2024
    Local Time
    Sometimes the "damage" can be greatly improved by "careful manipulation". You won't get it perfect but the bent over corners/sides/etc of the covers of hardback books, damaged in the post, can often be bent back to some extent, greatly improving the appearance.

Having worked in a factory type environment for years I think that I've seen most things from couriers/delivery drivers. One of the more amusing/memorable "events" occurred when the delivery driver, having made a delivery, "forgot" to close the back door of his van properly and he "deposited" a "trail of packages along the road" as he drove off into the distance. A delivery driver from a rival organisation did the "neighbourly thing" and kindly "collected" the packages that had been "deposited on the road". How can one "forget" to close the door of one's van properly if you are a delivery driver? It's like getting out of bed in the morning and "forgetting to get dressed".

Advisory Panel browningautorifle's Avatar
    Last On
    Today @ 08:27 PM
    Real Name
    Jim
    Local Date
    04-23-2024
    Local Time
    06:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying10uk View Post
    You won't get it perfect but the bent over corners/sides/etc of the covers of hardback books, damaged in the post, can often be bent back to some extent, greatly improving the appearance.
    Problem is now they're soft as a mouse ear and flatten when touched. I just had a look yesterday after we talked here...square corners but soft.
    Regards, Jim

Last On
    Local Date
    04-24-2024
    Local Time
    Depends on the damage, Jim, sometimes it can be improved.

Last On
    Yesterday @ 10:16 AM
    Local Date
    04-23-2024
    Local Time
    09:37 PM
    Just received Ian McCollum's Pistols of the Warlords and Chassepot to Famas from Headstamp Publishing. These are heavy books with upscale bindings. They were beautifully packed and arrived without blemish. Obviously a professional operation.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast