Abingdon, Oxfordshire. The home of MG Cars
    Real Name
    Peter Laidler
    Local Date
    04-24-2024
    Local Time
    12:09 AM

Wot you got.....?

Want/need/looking for a badly damaged No5 bayonet.
    (transferred from WTB section)
    Blade condition immaterial after the first couple of inches, as it will be cut-off and brazed into a half decent scabbard
    Don't need the grips or screws/nuts nor the catch, nut and spring. So keep those bits yourself as spare parts..... I'm knee deep in them! But I ain't going to chop a decent bladed one up that's for sure.......

Will be used for display only. Go on, what scrapper have you got going cheap?
    Peter Laidlericon
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

2. Thank You to Peter Laidler For This Useful Post:

Last On
    Yesterday @ 09:04 PM
    Local Date
    04-24-2024
    Local Time
    I'm not sure that there is a such thing as a cheap No5 bayonet in any condition.

What about a L1A1 blade with a No5 pommel and crosspiece?

4. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
    Advisory Panel
    Last On
    04-13-2024 @ 05:00 AM
    Real Name
    Peter Laidler
    Local Date
    04-24-2024
    Local Time
    Ok then..... what about just a No5 pommel? The L1A1 type blade/grip part is a much different shape, as are the grip screw holes. Nope, I've decided that I'll machine up a pommel this afternoon and make a good presentable repro. Where there's a will, there's a way of course. Ironically, if a crosspiece needs replacing the pommel has to come off anyway. Not that we would entertain such a notion in any of our workshops.
    No cheap crap No5 bayonets....., for years I had a rusted-out No5 bayonet and scabbard salvaged from the Sir Galahad before it was towed out into the Atlantic and scuttled

Clearly there are many No5's out there, incomplete and missing plenty of parts judging from the requests I've already had in answer to my wants ad.
    Last edited by Peter Laidler; 02-06-2023 at 05:21 AM. Reason: forgot something.....

6. Thank You to Peter Laidler For This Useful Post:

Last On
    Local Date
    04-24-2024
    Local Time
    First pic, No5 bayonet blade top, L1A1 bayonet blade bottom. The fullers look to be visually almost exactly the same length but I have not measured them with verniers or anything. The L1A1 blade tang in the example shown, a new replacement blade blank, is a little larger than that of the No5's tang. The No5 bayonet blade shown may have been shortened slightly (blade tip) in use/service?

2nd pic No5 bayonet blade on top of L1A1 bayonet blade.

I do not wish to part with the No5 bayonet blade shown as it is part of my No5 style blade collection. However I may have been able to find another new, unused, L1A1 blade blank, similar to the one shown in the photo. I would have thought that someone with your knowledge, experience and skills would be able to grind the tang to the size/profile of the No5 bayonet and drill the appropriate holes in the correct place. If you have plenty of offers of No5 bayonets at very reasonable prices this, of-course, would be a complete waste of time.
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	5C54A459-BE86-410E-BCC1-CB29CF3CBEF5_1_201_a.jpeg‎
Views:	226
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	129922   Click image for larger version

Name:	12C9693F-335D-4BBD-B0D9-46BACEC992F4_1_201_a.jpeg‎
Views:	201
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	129923  
    Last edited by Flying10uk; 02-06-2023 at 07:07 PM.

Advisory Panel
    Last On
    04-13-2024 @ 05:00 AM
    Real Name
    Peter Laidler
    Local Date
    04-24-2024
    Local Time
    One day, someone will need something I've got and.......

Last On
    @
    Local Date
    04-23-2024
    Local Time
    04:09 PM
    Or one of those No.8's with a guard from a No.7 grafted on to make a faux No.5 bayo?

Someone had a cottage industry making those up when No.8s and No.7s were cheap, but No.5's were in short supply.

Quite a few owners of No.5 bayos should remove their grips and take a look at how the guard is secured - unless they'd rather not know.

"There's many a slip twixt the guard and the grip! "

Got nowt Peter, or it would be in the mail to you...
    “There are invisible rulers who control the destinies of millions. It is not generally realized to what extent the words and actions of our most influential public men are dictated by shrewd persons operating behind the scenes.”

Edward Bernays, 1928

Much changes, much remains the same.

10. Thank You to Surpmil For This Useful Post:

Last On
    Local Date
    04-24-2024
    Local Time
    You asked in your original post "Go on, what scrapper have you got going cheap?" I thought that I was making sensible, constructive and helpful suggestions, since you asked. I don't see any other such posts, so far, from anyone else, in this thread.

When I needed a No5 bayonet to get the blade for my No5 blade collection the cheapest No5 bayonet that I could find in really rough condition with a broken muzzle ring cost me £150. I didn't get a great rush of people offering me No5 bayonets at bargain basement prices.

It's handy having most of the No5 bayonet style blades available, in bare blade form, for comparison.
    Last edited by Flying10uk; 02-06-2023 at 07:32 PM.

Last On
    Today @ 11:04 AM
    Local Date
    04-23-2024
    Local Time
    07:09 PM
    How many nos L1A1 blades do you need Peter? I still have a box full of bayonet kits. Email me and I'll send you one if it'll suit your project.

13. Thank You to Brian Dick For This Useful Post:

Last On
    Today @ 10:34 AM
    Real Name
    CINDERS
    Local Date
    04-24-2024
    Local Time
    07:09 AM
    The No.5's unfortunately Peter the $'s for them have just gone to a ridiculous height monetary wise I think BD's offer will be your avenue of escape if its a faux pas then it does not really matter what you cobble together.
    If you have not already known a little while ago I posted SLR bayonets here 5 years ago you could not give them away now they are going for $330/Aud, '07's have followed a similar trend with the Hookies just going right off the rails even the lowly no.7's are up in value!

Along with furniture for the MkIII rifle think alpinewolf got $1100+ Aud for a full stock and fittings no mag though, I'm positive that given your talents machining you'll get the job looking as it should.
    I've wanted a No.5 for a long time but like the hooky I can dream about them, we will wait with anticipation on the resultant cobble item.
    Last edited by CINDERS; 02-08-2023 at 12:03 PM.

Last On
    Yesterday @ 11:11 PM
    Real Name
    Steve
    Local Date
    04-23-2024
    Local Time
    07:09 PM
    The last No 5 bayonets I saw anyone offering for "cheap" were $100 and from Royal Tiger Imports. I got one. They want that much for a reproduction now. I have one of those too that I bought when I figured I'd never find a No5. About two weeks after I got it I got my first real one, now I have four. I was pretty pleased with what I got from RTI. A lot of people complain about them but I've either been super lucky or a lot less picky than their average customer.
    Last edited by Aragorn243; 02-08-2023 at 10:24 PM.

16. The Following 3 Members Say Thank You to Aragorn243 For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast