+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Garand: Desirable but reasonable Serial Range?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Last On
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by browningautorifle View Post
    I looked in the SRS #1 and no hits on any of them.
    Jim, can I ask you a favor to look up serial 450348 looks like a 1942. The stock has SA GHS stamped in it, but it looks like the at the heal of the stock has water damage, recoverable but still not great, the buttplate is rust city, the rest of the rifle is very good,

Thanks in advance
    Veteran US Navy Seabees - US Army Corps of Engineers - American Legion Post 0867
    " Only two defining forces have offered to die for me. 1.) Jesus Christ 2.) The American G.I. "One died for your soul, the other for your freedom! "

Quote Originally Posted by usabaker View Post
    Nothing in SRS #1 even comes close Bill. I know other guys here have later SRS tables...maybe there's something else has come to light?

I did look up all the numbers on your list before...nothing on any of them.

I was just looking at that rifle and from it's pics might be a pile of original parts...might be a good deal.
    Last edited by browningautorifle; 04-26-2024 at 10:11 PM.
    Regards, Jim

Right now the CMP does have the Navy Mod 0 and Mod 1 Garands rifles in 7.62 NATO available at 950 and 1600 respectably.

https://thecmp.org/sales-and-service/m1-garand/
    Former Prairie Submarine Commander
    "To Err is Human, To Forgive is Divine. Neither of Which is SAC Policy."

Last On
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by browningautorifle View Post
    Nothing in SRS #1 even comes close Bill.
    Thanks, Jim; the price went beyond what I think its value is. I'm still looking and bidding on others.. July, the 11% Communist tax hits, so I may end up taking what's on the racks. I've noticed I'm not the only one looking here in CA and its driving the prices up locally.

Veteran US Navy Seabees - US Army Corps of Engineers - American Legion Post 0867
    " Only two defining forces have offered to die for me. 1.) Jesus Christ 2.) The American G.I. "One died for your soul, the other for your freedom! "

Contributing Member
    Last On
    @
    11% Communist tax hits, so I may end up taking what's on the racks
    A CMP rifle might be the best way to go. If I'm not mistaken, since CMP was created by an act of congress, you will not be paying that local (state) sales tax. They still have plenty of field grades and more available in the 2 stores. Plan a trip to Alabama (Atlanta is closest airport) by plane, rent a car, pick out what you want off the shelf. You will have PLENTY to choose from. They will box it up and ship to your door, or you can fly home with it (google TSA rules for flying with a firearm. In spite of what people may think and idiots might say, It is a VERY easy and convenient process to fly with a firearm). Pick out a nice rack grade. It will have all its service history, and with plane ticket and rental car you will likely still be in your price range. Heck, for $20 more you can drive another half hour to the John Garand range at Talledega and zero it out to 600yds in the same day. The store at the range has mostly special and expert grades (new stocks and new barrels).

My last couple garands I did exactly this, although I flew to Huntsville AL on a work trip. A bit further from Anniston than Atlanta, but the 4 hour drive to the store and range was well worth the day off.

Last On
    @
    Well. after being outbid on six M1 Garands, I think some people just bid for fun because there is NO WAY that some of the rifles I bid on were worth what they went for; I just settled on an M1 Garand that meets my most basic wants. I figured I'd pick this one up, and I could always sell it if I find or win a better one before the July deadline hits. It's on the way to my FFL, so I should have it in a week or so.

It is a Springfield Armory SN 3084640, and all the parts seem to be SA, but I will know better once it's in hand, and I can take her down. The bore gauges at 1.0, so it should shoot well. She is a bit rough, but I like mine with the lived-in feel and look, and I probably paid more than I should have.

Congratulations. Any Garand is better than no Garand!

Last On
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by oldfoneguy View Post
    Congratulations. Any Garand is better than no Garand!
    Ain't that the truth!

Springfield Armory SN 3084640
    I had SA 3340115 last, I rebarreled it to 7.62. Sounds like you got a good one. Some people decide they have to have something and set their payments to snipe, in the last seconds it's stunning how high things go. You have a good one so have fun...let us know.
    Regards, Jim

A CMP rifle might be the best way to go.

Amen to that. I'm lucky to live 4 hours from the stores. Did the GCA convention in October which included matches at Talladega. I believe they alternate years at Anniston for their site. Along with a group of friends we try to do a couple of trips a year and spend three nights. On our last trip in March two of our friends did the Buddy Maintenance course and built their expert grades. There are great weekly store reports on the CMP forum. You'll always find individuals with expertise to help pick out a rifle.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2