+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New barrels in the UK?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    FREE MEMBER
    NO Posting or PM's Allowed

Last On
    @

New barrels in the UK?

My dear old bitsa No.4's barrel is now unquestionably shot out, to the point where even a cheapo Chinese USB borescope picks up the agricultural state of the throat. It just about groups inside a Fig 12 at 300yds but I know the action and bedding will do better than that.

Aside from the Criterion barrels, what are the options for a new No.4 barrel in the UK? I'm more worried about accuracy than originality - this rifle is for shooting!

Legacy Member
    Last On
    @
    I have had an Armalon barrel fitted to my replica No4 T and it shoots very well, 0.5" to 0.7" with Hornady and Winchester ammunition @ 100 Metres.
    My barrel was purchased from tbonesmith in Australia and fitted by a local armourer and gunsmith here in New Zealand.
    I believe Fulton's of Bisley may stock them, they also come with bayonet lugs.
    The Armalon website is Armalon - All of our Products

LE, it may sound a daft question but you didn't state if it was .303 or 7.62mm ? I gather it is .303 ?
    Original No4 barrels are nearly none existent, There was someone selling Walther barrels at around £350 fitted ...... If your not desperate and on a budget you can still get hold of a sporterised or a shabby looking No4 with a good barrel and swap them over, this would probably need a spacer made etc.

As you stated your a shooter and not worried about original etc, if it was me its a perfect opportunity to convert to 7.62mm or 7.62/.303
    Last edited by bigduke6; 07-11-2017 at 04:02 AM.

FREE MEMBER
    NO Posting or PM's Allowed

Last On
    @
    It is indeed a 303. I vaguely remember the Lothar Walther barrels a few years ago but I can't remember who was selling them.

Convert to 7.62/.303? Do you mean one or the other? Or is there an oddball wildcat cartridge out there?

Quote Originally Posted by LondonEnfield View Post
    It is indeed a 303. I vaguely remember the Lothar Walther barrels a few years ago but I can't remember who was selling them.

Convert to 7.62/.303? Do you mean one or the other? Or is there an oddball wildcat cartridge out there?
    I would either use a 7.62 ex target barrel and contour to the No4 profile or re chamber an ex target barrel for .303, bit more work to do, but a lot more bullet choice and still use your .303 brass, Bruce in Oz may be along shortly with some facts and figures.....

If you convert a No.4 303 to the 7.62 does the weapon have to be re-proofed by the proof house

Yep as its a different calibre, also a barrel will if its had any work done to it.
    Last edited by bigduke6; 07-12-2017 at 04:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LondonEnfield View Post
    Chris at CG Firearms uses the Lothar Walther barrels on his re-furbed/re-barreled No.4's.

Quote Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
    Chris at CG Firearms uses the Lothar Walther barrels on his re-furbed/re-barreled No.4's.
    Awaiting delivery of one of these myself. Can't wait. Had a 1941 Long Branch he supplied & another of his No. 4 re-furbs previously. We're brilliant rifles.

+ Reply to Thread