PDA

View Full Version : Bren 100 round drum follower

Warren
04-14-2013, 12:20 PM
Anyone got a spare one/set of these around ??
This is the follower for a 100 round Bren drum and sure would be appreciated for even a lead where to find some. Tried .303 links and drill rounds but no go. They drag on the shoulder. Just trying to help a buddy out.

Peter Laidler
04-14-2013, 05:44 PM
Given that those 'rounds' and links are just pushers Warren, surely it would be a simple matter to just turn the 'rounds' from brass and simply modify two .303" Browning MG lings to act as the hinge? No.......?> Yes......?

If the drill rounds and links 'drag on the shoulders' then what about shaping out the shoulders so that there's nothing to 'drag' or friction against. OR am I looking at things too simplisticly (.....or is it simplistically.....?)

Warren
04-15-2013, 08:01 AM
Drill rounds and .303 links drag too much to feed properly. They bind up on "turning the corner" into the feed lips. The only alternative I have is to turn the rounds then machine a grove in them for the links and then reform the links to a smaller OD to fit in the grove so they do not drag.
However with the number of drums I have seen over the years missing the followers someone has to have some of the followers someplace.
Got a spare set around ?????

Peter Laidler
04-16-2013, 11:59 AM
Someone else has just told me that this is a problem with a lot of these 100 round drums. I wonder if it is because when they're sold off, the followers are actual drill/armourers dummy rounds so have to be taken out, probably forcibly. Just a thought of course.

The lack of these followers and the friction 'problems' wouldn't hold me up for more than a couple of minutes!

Warren
04-16-2013, 01:58 PM
Your on!!!!
I'll supply the .303 links and you can play around to your hearts content.

Brit plumber
04-16-2013, 05:04 PM
Stupid question but do they need links? What happens if you just put 3 drill rounds in?

Warren
04-16-2013, 05:35 PM
Not a stupid question at all.
They work like stink, however when you get a dummy or drill round in the chamber it just stops firing.......obviously.
For the punter it will work as you can open the drum to load it if need be and then just insert 3 , 4 , or 5 drill rounds and "Bob's yur uncle".
I suggested it to the owner, who is a first class machinist, but he had no idea of what the follower looked like and he had already sent me the drum to look at and see if I had the parts.
You can also use the drum without the follower but then you have three or four live rounds rattling around in the drum feed lips

Peter Laidler
04-17-2013, 05:31 AM
That's a GOOD question Brit Plumber because Warren has given the answer that I didn't know either. Thanks BP and Warren for that

Terry Robertson
06-26-2013, 07:59 PM
Hi every one!
Newbie here would like to talk to any one
About Brens and drum mags!
Like if there 100,000 made or so
We're are any of them ?

Peter Laidler
06-27-2013, 07:27 AM
Don't understand what you're asking? Can you make it clearer?

Terry Robertson
06-29-2013, 02:23 AM
Hi Peter
Is there 2 diferent types of drum mags ?
Is there any for sale for big $$$$ ?
Or any Reproductions ?
I found some winders so far.
If possible I would like your phone # Peter
If its not against the forums rules .

Peter Laidler
06-29-2013, 05:32 AM
THere is a Mk1 and a Mk2 drum. No doubt, there will be some for sale but I don't know where as I am not a dealer or trader of any sort and never ever have been. There definately WILL be some for sale for big bucks. The bigger your bucks, the more there will be for sale!!!!! Unfortunately, my phone# ain't for sale! I always say that the best place to ask a Q is on the forum. That way yoiu get the wisdom of the wise crowd

Terry Robertson
07-01-2013, 04:17 AM
Thank you Peter for making the time to help
Out the beginning of my hunt for both mk1
And mark2 drums
Hopefully talk again soon
Thank you

Terry Robertson
07-06-2013, 02:17 PM
Hi Peter it's Terry
Question again
Do the two followers or dummey or machined
Rounds go at the end of the line ?
They must right!
Are they hooked in the drum with a special piece or ?
Maybe just an over all run down of how they
Operate .
If and when you have the time please .
I need to find the main drum thread again
To follow it .

---------- Post added at 09:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 AM ----------

Also Peter from Terry
Is the mark 1 the same basic shape as
The mark 2 except for the numbers on it.
Basically are they interchangeable .
Or different adapters ?

Woodsy
07-28-2013, 07:12 PM
Hi all

I have a spare steel follower but the two dummy rounds and link are missing. It is free to a good home.

I am after a 100 rd drum mainspring to get a VGO mag operational. A Bren one should do the trick fine.. Kev, I had sent you a message on your Bren parts site.

Cheers
Rod
gundoc@xtra.co.nz