Yesterday @ 11:51 PM
    Real Name
    Michael
    Local Date
    05-25-2024
    Local Time
    01:35 AM

Added value of WWII Bring-Back paperwork

Any opinions on the general dollar value increase you would give to an otherwise fair condition (but original) WWII Germanicon pistol solely due to accompanying authentic bring-back papers? Does the type of pistol matter to you in that case?

Last On
    Yesterday @ 07:53 PM
    Real Name
    Steve
    Local Date
    05-25-2024
    Local Time
    02:35 AM
    That is a question with a ton of variables. Plus it depends on your personal preferences.

As what I consider being a "low end" collector meaning I buy what I can afford which is generally low end, I'm not real likely to pay a whole lot extra for papers. I like having a functional example of a firearm, being mint, having papers, being a rare example are not high priorities for me.

All things being equal, say there were two pistols nearly identical, and one had no papers for $800 and one had papers for $900, I'd spring for the extra papers. But if they added 25% markup, I'd go for the $800 pistol. Some guys claim 25-40% markup for papers and to me, just not that important. 10%, sure.

As for type, it would have to be one I still needed. I won't buy a pistol just because it has papers to have the papers.

And for the record, I have nothing in my collection, firearm, bayonet or gear that has official papers. I have a couple of things from Desert Storm that have notes from the people who brought them back but that's it.
    Last edited by Aragorn243; 02-24-2024 at 08:36 AM.

3. The Following 2 Members Say Thank You to Aragorn243 For This Useful Post:

4. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
    Last On
    05-22-2024 @ 07:55 PM
    Local Date
    05-25-2024
    Local Time
    I bought a good conditioned Mauser P.38 which I would consider a $9-1,100 value. I gladly paid $1,250.

The son of the Veteran is a Catholic Priest and had no heirs to pass it down to. He provided a hand written note of his father's service record.

6. The Following 3 Members Say Thank You to martin08 For This Useful Post:

Advisory Panel browningautorifle's Avatar
    Last On
    Yesterday @ 12:22 PM
    Real Name
    Jim
    Local Date
    05-24-2024
    Local Time
    11:35 PM
    Nice piece...to think I was around that area, on duty just across the border. I could have walked into the armory and shaken hands with the originator. Most of our guys were retired by then.
    Regards, Jim

8. The Following 3 Members Say Thank You to browningautorifle For This Useful Post:

Last On
    Today @ 12:42 AM
    Real Name
    Walt Meyer
    Local Date
    05-25-2024
    Local Time
    01:35 AM
    I asked this same question a few years ago when I was negotiating the purchase of a Type 38 with the original bring-back papers pre-covid. The rifle was in ok shape, had an intact Mum and an original bayonet but would need restoration work. The general feedback I received was that the papers added about $100 in value. The seller wouldn't budget from $1000 and I wouldn't offer more than $750. The papers would have been a pretty cool addition if I had been able to swing the deal.

10. Thank You to Singer B For This Useful Post:

Last On
    03-10-2024 @ 07:16 AM
    Local Date
    05-25-2024
    Local Time
    if they are original papers and not a copy , that means correct paper and live signatures ,it adds a fair amount in my eyes , just because a weapon does not have a import mark in no way guarantees it as a BB trophy , the papers do , allot of weapons were imported prior to 1968 before the new regulations on Serial numbers, importation regs among other things were added to firearm regulations , you could purchase surplus firearms from the back of magazines , Army Surplus chains for example , i purchased a Walther PP thats papered some 25-30 years ago i think i gave $500 but i cant swear to it with my memory these days , but i remember i paid over what the market value was for the pistol

add the fact the infrequency you see legit papers with the weapon anymore i would say the premium % added has to be greater than when i bought mine , the pieces themselves have increased in value/collectability , over time papers get lost , separated from the weapon from unknowing family members after death , house fires , floods , vermine , natural disasters , moving loss or damage , there are many factors that claim original papers over time making the surviving examples more rare or at least uncommon in turn adding value , think about it , in one year it will be 80 years since the end of WW2 , along time for a iece of paper to not only survive but remain with the piece it is documenting

12. The Following 2 Members Say Thank You to micmacman For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread