NO Posting or PM's Allowed
    Last On
    12-06-2019 @ 05:14 PM
    Local Date
    05-29-2024
    Local Time
    07:43 AM

Beretta M1 Garand

Does ayone have info on the Beretta M1icon Garand in 7.62 Nato.
    I'm looking into an unfired M1 Beretta manufactured in Italyicon in the early 1960's. Supposedly there were only 200 of these rifles manufactured.
    A few tings don't sit right with me though:
    1. the barrel has no markings whatsoever
    2. above the serial number it says 'BERETTA', 'NATO 7,62' and 'ITALY'Now, the M1's I've seen that were manufactured in Italy and sent to Denmarkicon had Beretta Romi and Italia not Italy on the left side of the receiver.
    3. the stock has the cartouche 'MT' on butt stock which stands for modified terni. If this is an unfired rifle should the stock not have a serial number?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by bombeiro346; 07-18-2008 at 09:54 PM.

Last On
    04-25-2024 @ 08:14 AM
    Local Date
    05-29-2024
    Local Time
    05:43 AM
    I was under the impression that the rest of the production went into BM59 rifles. The Italians made a lot of those.

3. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
    FREE MEMBER
    Last On
    01-01-2012 @ 12:59 PM
    Local Date
    05-29-2024
    Local Time
    I originally corresponded with Colleen Reese about these Garands and origins, when I purchased mine back in 2008/09, according to her the story I posted on another thread here :

Bob Reese was on a buying trip at Beretta/Italyicon, bought 180 complete P. Beretta rifles and imported them onto their books around 1990 is the short answer, the longer answer is he was "Probably" buying receivers, parts, tooling or anything else he could get....

According to Colleen mine #055 was imported as one of the complete rifles if I read her old email correctly, Every part is marked "PB", EXCEPT barrel and stock has NO markings whatsoever, receiver is marked "BMR" under woodline on right side, heel marked "P. Beretta", "Made in Italy", "055". "CAL .30 M1". interesting tid bit is sight apeture and trigger are a high polished blue, but still marked "PB". Barrel was chambered 7.62 by cutting back chamber/threads at rear area of a 30.06 barrel, then rethreaded, Op Rod marked "7.62mm/2", so stock/handguard were all shortened by a 1/2 or so, has a block in clip well marked "BR".

So far I've encountered 2 others, serial "020" that had Yemen markings on stock, and unmarked barrel as well, "086" the same as mine EXCEPT had SA Bolt and TRW hammer, gas plug marked "PB" "BM59". when I chatted with Colleen they still had 2 "PB" rifles in stock, one with no barrel markings, and one marked HRA on barrel...So my guess is they imported some rifles(180), and built some from parts.

So long way around getting to questions of : Why were they built? When were they built? How long in storage?

I can only guess based on a couple of hypothesis came up with, maybe around the late 50's or sometime 1960's, I found no record that Beretta officially made M1 Garands, it was Breda(BMR) making them for export to the Danishicon, so my guess is Breda made some receivers for Beretta, these 180 complete rifles found at Beretta "Could" have been built for some trial run, maybe a military contract, or comercial sales that never materialized. during that time newer rifles were coming out like the HK and FAL, also don't forget the BM59/62 and M14icon, so the Garand would have been considered outdated for the times. So my guess is they sat stored and forgotten until Bob Reese found and imported them in 1990, and possibly enough parts to build 20 more, bringing the number up to the 200 mark some say.....Remember I'm just guessing here, I have found so little info, and trying to fill in blanks.
    Last edited by Mad_Max; 01-01-2012 at 11:31 AM.

Last On
    06-05-2021 @ 09:59 PM
    Local Date
    05-29-2024
    Local Time
    05:43 AM
    It appears that this rifle is similar to the Italianicon Tipo2 7.62NATO conversions that were made up for the Italian army. These rifles are made from standard Garandicon parts with the exception of the following components which are 1/2 inch shorter; barrel, op rod, rear handguard, and stock.
    The Tipo 2 conversions appear to have been done on any make of Garand receiver which belonged to the Italian military. The Tipo 2 barrels that I have are standard SA 1963 vintage barrels which were shortened at the breach end and rechambered for 7.62. My Tipo 2 op rods are a shortened IHC and a scarce SA revision 13. Both are stamped "7.62mm/2" on the outside of the handle. One of the shortened stocks is stamped MT and the other is unmarked. The 7.62 mag spacers which I have are both stamped "BR", which I understand to be a Beretta marking. I built 2 rifles on ex-Danish Breda receivers using these components and they both function and shoot very well.
    Both Breda and Beretta made rifles for sale to the Danes. The Breda rifles are stamped with the Danishicon Crown/FKF/Nr/BMR +sn on the receiver heel and Breda/Meccanica Romana/Italia on the left rear face of the receiver. Beretta rifles follow the same marking convention with Danish Crown/FKF/Nr/PB+sn on the heel and Beretta-Armi/Roma-Italia on the left side.
    Incidentally the Numrich website is now flogging stubs of the Italian Tipo 2 receivers made by Breda, IHC, and HRA. All are marked 7.62-2 behind the rear sight.

Last On
    Yesterday @ 08:58 PM
    Real Name
    Bob Seijas
    Local Date
    05-29-2024
    Local Time
    08:43 AM
    There must be a dozen different logo styles found on the conversions.

FREE MEMBER
    Last On
    04-18-2011 @ 01:59 PM
    Local Date
    05-29-2024
    Local Time
    this is what i found out so far about the beretta Garands

Bob Reese formally of Springfield armory was at Beretta factory in Italyicon a long time ago. There he meet an older gentleman who remembered where some M1icon Garands were stored, this gentleman took Bob down into the "Bowels" of Beretta factory and showed Bob these Beretta Made M1 Garands in 308 that had been in storage.

Bob Reese purchased them, (some say it was 180 others say it was 200) the Rifles were entered into Springfield armory Books in 1990.

Springfield did not want to sell Beretta marked Garands so they stayed in the vault until Bob gave/sold Springfield armory to his sons.

When Bob left he took a bunch of the oddball stuff with him including the (180 or 200 )Garands in question. Bob then sold the guns through Reese surplus. When they first went for sale the lower the serial #s seemed to be cleaner and Reese charged more for them. Reese's website is gone and I have not seen these up for sale much.

In a nut shell that's all I have gotten from various sources off the web I'm not sure if its all accurate or not. I do know i have seen pictures of 3 digit Serial # Beretta M-1 Garands,
    and I would love to know:

When they were built?
    How long they sat almost forgotten in Beretta storage?
    Are there only 180 of them or is it 200 or More?

Administrator

Site Owner
    Last On
    @
    Real Name
    Doug
    Local Date
    05-29-2024
    Local Time
    My Videos in Video Club

Lightbulb

Hi...

A good start to see if any of your questions might be answered in the library, would be to check 1955 Danish (Breda) Military Garand (click here) in the Denmark - Milsurp Knowledge Library (click here).

Let us know if that helps, particularly the photo montage of all the markings.

Regards,
    Badger

Contributing Member Tom in N.J.'s Avatar
    Last On
    Today @ 08:00 AM
    Local Date
    05-29-2024
    Local Time
    There were comercial M1icon Beretta receivers available from Service Armament / Navy Arms way back in the 60s. They were marked 'Beretta / Gardone Vt / Italyicon'. I'm sure that they have been used for M1s, BM59s, and shortened 7.62mm M1s in their lifetime.

Last On
    12-28-2021 @ 09:47 PM
    Local Date
    05-29-2024
    Local Time
    04:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom in N.J. View Post
    There were comercial M1icon Beretta receivers available from Service Armament / Navy Arms way back in the 60s. They were marked 'Beretta / Gardone Vt / Italyicon'. I'm sure that they have been used for M1s, BM59s, and shortened 7.62mm M1s in their lifetime.
    The Reese's were selling 7.2mm Beretta M1s not too long ago, maybe it is one of them.

FREE MEMBER
    Last On
    05-18-2013 @ 09:43 AM
    Local Date
    05-29-2024
    Local Time
    I have a regular Beretta and a Breda. Probably won't help you though with what your'e inquiring about.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast