Just picked-up my first Springfield M1903 Mark I today, I don't see them for sale that often so I jumped on this one and would like your opinions on what to do about its barrel.

First, I'm no expert, but the stock doesn't appear to have ever been refinished, it has the finger grooves with the lowered ejection port near the Pedersen Device hole on the left side, I haven found any stampings or cartouches besides a name that was lightly carved (barely an inch long) on the butt stock. The serial number is 1049750 and there's an "SA" above a flaming bomb, then a "12-18" stamped on the barrel, the barrel also has a "8 L 7" stamped on top near the rear sight under the handguard. The bolt has no markings besides a "1 8" on the mid lug and the "SAFE" and "READY" on the safety catch. The mag cut-off has the "ON" and "OFF". Apart from that there's an "H" on the bayonet lug casting. If there's anything I'm missing, I'd appreciate if you can show me where to look.

Now my question: the riflings are fairly weak, nothing crisp, they're there at the throat, but very faint in the last 1.5" at the muzzle. Pitting is micro small, nothing deep. I haven't shot it yet, hopefully tomorrow, but if it proves to be a dog at the range, would you replace the barrel, counter-bore the last 1.5" or should I leave it be for the collectors' value?

Thanks in advance for your replies!
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.