Hi all, I've been reading around here for a couple of weeks now and figured it was time to sign in. So here goes my first post...

I just inherited some old military rifles from a long friend who passed away. In our discussion years ago about him wanting me to have them, he said that he'd rather they not sit in a closet like they did all the years he had them. I'd really like to honor that and use one or two (or three - or all) of them for hunting rifles. I hunt mainly whitetail deer in the woods and fields of Mississippi. I'm most likely never to hunt bear, elk, water buffalo, or anything large like that. Just deer.

Anyway, here are the ones that I'm considering candidates. I would love to hear opinions, advice, etc. Which ones would you use and why? Which ones would you not use and why not?

Kragicon 30-40, mfg in 1901, extremely nice shape.
1903-A3 30-06, mgf in 1942, lefty sporter stock, recently refinished and parkerized, no non-standard drilling or mods to the metal.
Enfield .303, Model 3
Enfield .303, Model 4

I have some others, but I don't consider them contenders, either because of the condition of the rifle or availability/cost of ammo.

The 03-A3 is the only one that's not stock. It was purchased by my friend from the NRA but is not stamped NRA. The other three are all stock and have all necessary clips, sights, and slings.

Personally, I'm leaning towards the Krag and the Enfield Model 4, mainly because the just feel right in my hands. The Model 3 feels a bit clumsy in my hands. The 03-A3 is also a strong possibility because it's not original and won't feel any guilt about scoping it (don't hate me!) if my getting-older eyes require that.

Ok, I'll stop rambling. Opinions? ...
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.