I talked to the gunsmith today after dropping off my rifle about a week ago, because I took it to a range in N.C. and it jammed after a few shots, breaking off the back of the shell while the rest stayed hung in the gun. I fired a full clip several weeks before with no problem. He checked the op rod piston and the gas chamber and a few other things and found them just within specs. But then it came down to headspacing, he was able to fit the longest gauge and a couple of shims behind that! He recomended hunting down a fella at the gun shows "gus" who knows more than his fair share about garands. His concern is that he has no means of gauging the reciever to see if it is out of spec, and says that gus would be able to tell me if the reciever was too worn out, or if I just need to replace the barrel. Is this a concern? or should I just get a new barrel. I'm just aprehensive about finding this guy.How can one tell if the receiver is too worn? -E.Hall
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.