I shot this buck with my Remington P14 as seen in the photo with original battle sights. I was sitting on an enormous fallen tree which was laying atop a hill at the edge of a plateu and looking down into the wooded valley below. This area is a heavily traveled deer highway. He snuck up on my right side about 20 yards down the hill from me before I heard his footsteps. He was unaware of my presence and stopped, faced me, and lowered his head to nibble at something or sniff the ground. My movement was concealed from him by a small sappling halfway between us as I took my aim. He stumbled as I shot him in the neck through the light foliage and he darted away, stumbling several times before he finally turned in my direction and collapsed about 60 yards further. He bleed very little and weighed 135 lbs with 5 points (6 if you count the little 2 inch tine). The main tine on his right antler had been snapped off about 3/4 of the way up.

Attachment 37917
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.