Hello everyone,

I am new to milsurp and this is my first post. My grandfather, a WWII veteran, passed away in August 2012 and I was left with several amazing historical items that I've been cherishing since I was a child. An Arisakaicon Type 99 rifle with bayonet was one of them. I've done some research and it is part of the Series 6 rifles from the Nagoya Arsenal produced between 1939-45. It has an anti-aircraft scope and it looks like the stock was made of two different woods. It would appear that it has seen some action as marks on the wood indicate the rifle has been in the field. As well as an intact Chrysanthemum (well, there is a partial "X" mark on the lower half) which indicates it wasn't sold to a school or confiscated by the Allied Forces. I've read that when the Allies got a hold of these rifles they would scratch off the Chrysanthemum completed. I've included pictures below. I'm curious if there is someone that can appraise the rifle for me, I was thinking about insuring it. I think I'm going to get it mounted in a glass case. It is not something I want to lose and I have no intention of ever selling it. Should I not have a family of my own it will find its way to the National Museum of the Pacific War in Fredericksburg, TX. Thanks in advance for any help!
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.