Good evening all. During my quest to add an Arisakaicon to my WWII collection I stopped in to a local pawn shop. There was a T99 there that a friend told me about. I found it included the dust cover and was completely number matched and had the mum. Very cool! It also had a wooden tag with Japanese writing. The attached leather sling was original but hard as a rock. The rifle is a 5th series Nagoya without the monopod. I don't think it ever had one as there is no corosponding marks on the stock from wear. From another discussion board a member thought the tag read "Platoon Commander Ishibashi." I found markings on the underside of the sling that have not been translated. An effort to soften the sling with Pecards failed, so I am leaving it as is, although when I fired it the hard sling made somewhat awkward and uncomfortable. I can't figure out how to post pics to this original post but will try in a reply. If someone can confirm the original translation I would appreciate it as I would a translation from the sling. Online translators have been no help. I am hopeful the sling markings will be unit information so I'll have a better chance at terracing the rifles history. Best regards - Bob
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.