Hi

I have this posted over at CGN, but no responses.
I have a No5 that need the draws rebuilt. I’ve read Peter Laidlericon’s article on stocking up a forend at least 5 times now, plus numerous other threads at CGN and here. I feel pretty confident in being able to rebuild the draws.
The current draws. It’s quite obvious that there are not bearing evenly. The person who rebuild this the first time aligned the wood the same direction and the stock. From what I’ve read from PL, this should be done with oak with the grain running perpendicular to the stock

My question is this. Here is a picture of the back of the forend. Circled in red are the only two areas that are bearing on the socket. Should I lightly sand the back of the stock below the reinforce strap so that it will bears evenly across? I would do this before rebuilding the draws, so that I can have the draws push the stock back the few thou that will be sanded off.

I suppose a secondary question will be, in your experience is pegging the rebuild from the top or side better? This stock has had the draws rebuilt once already, with pegs inserted from the side. I have another rifle that has had the draws rebuild with pegs inserted from the top of the draw.

EDIT I've pulled the old draws off. They and the pegs just popped out, so I guess I'll use the existing holes.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.