Thread: Is a Grenade launcher a Section 1 Firearm Component ?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Threaded View

Last On
    Yesterday @ 06:29 PM
    Real Name
    Alan De Enfield
    Local Date
    06-01-2024
    Local Time
    07:53 AM

Is a Grenade launcher a Section 1 Firearm Component ?

I was looking at buying a Grenade Cup launcher for my No1 Mk3* but was informed I would need a variation on my FAC as it is a 'pressure bearing part'.

Looking at the 2014 Home Office Guidelines - I wonder ?

When considering whether a particular weapon should be regarded as a firearm to which
    sections 1, 2 or 5 of the 1968 Act applies or which is covered by the 1982 Act, it is important to remember that the purpose of the legislation is to control the supply and possession of all rifles, guns and pistols which could be used for criminal or subversive purposes while recognising that individuals may own and use firearms and other devices for legitimate purposes. In the absence of a decision by a court, the Secretary of State takes the view that the following devices should not be regarded as firearms within the definition of the Act:

i) harpoon guns utilising a spigot and fired by blank cartridge, such as the Greener
    harpoon gun;
    j) dummy and target launchers (designed to project a dummy for dog training or an artificial target for shooting), utilising a spigot and powered by blank cartridges;
    k) armoured fighting vehicle (AFV) smoke dischargers used to project pyrotechnics for
    smoke screening; and
    l) smoothbore sleeve type chamber inserts for use in a shotgun or rifle (chamber
    adaptors which incorporate rifling and chambered for any cartridge are subject to
    Section 1 control.).

So if I want to use the 'launcher' to launch tennis balls as an artificial target is that OK ?

However :

Those weapons and ammunition, which are prohibited, consist of:

vi) any rocket launcher, or any mortar, for projecting a stabilised missile, other than a launcher or mortar designed for line-throwing or pyrotechnic purposes or as signaling
    apparatus

Is a grenade (or a tennis bal) a 'stabilised missile' ?
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by Alan de Enfield; 01-19-2015 at 12:11 PM.
    Mine are not the best, but they are not too bad. I can think of lots of Enfields I'd rather have but instead of constantly striving for more, sometimes it's good to be satisfied with what one has...