All right, here is a chromed Ithaca 1911A1. I know what 99.9% of the experts will say, and I agree with them, but my father wants to take a stab at getting opinions about his gun. First let’s say the gun is a complete 1943 Ithaca. A “P” is stamped on the left frame and top of the slide. FJA is stamped on left frame along with a faint stamp on the trigger guard bow. The Ordnance Escutcheon is stamped on the right frame behind the grip. It’s marked with US PROPERTY. The barrel is an HS with a ‘P” stamped. The serial number indicates that it could be one of 1,621 shipped on 4/17/1944 to the Ordnance Property Officer, Hamilton Field, California.
Ok here’s the story. My father sent it to Mark Smith, Precision Bluing, Greene NY, to be refinished. Mark did contract work for Ithaca when they were located in Ithaca NY. He told my father he was 95% sure that the gun was a presentation model because the finish is copper, nickel, with flash chrome . He advised my father not to change the finish and sent it back. So Mark, who has 30+ years of experience and knowledge, turned down the work because of what he believed the gun was. Any thoughts or opinions are welcomed. Thanks.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.