Hello to all.
I'm a new forum member - and this forum is GREAT!

I'm just trying to buy my first Lee-Enfield for my firearms collection, but unfortunately Lee-Enfields are very rare in my country as well as reliable sources of information. Therefore I would be very grateful for any help.

My selected specimen is No. 4 Mk. I. The seller says it was produced 1943 but I have some
doubts. The rifle is marked with an electro-pencil in follwong way:
Receiver left side (two rows):
No 4 MK I (F) FTR
/48 LC28375
Bolt hande:
LC28375
Butt socket:
LC28375
Magazine bottom:
LC28375

I assume this is a No. 4 Mk. I produced by Fazakerley (maybe 1943) and in year 1948 it absolved a FTR also in Fazakerley (there is no month number before the /48 - nothing - maybe ground off/linished?).

And there is the main question: Is LC28375 the original number of the gun (its production number) or it was changed and rewritten during the FTR in year 1948? If the number is original, then can the production year of 1943 be confirmed?

Second question: the butt blate is a brass one, not steel. But I have read that during the war brass butt plates were substituted by steel plates. Is the brass plate OK for a war time rifle or it was substituted during the FTR?

Any help will be highly appreciated!highly appreciated!
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.