There is a M1A1icon on sale online at gunbroker ($3k with 3 days left) and I noticed something that seems off. I am new to these so I could be all wrong about it.

I read that the cutout section of the stock left side where the cheek pad rests is supposed to have smooth flowing curves in the first production carbines. This one has sharply milled edges in that area same as the reworked stocks have. Am I wrong or is that not correct for a first production paratrooper?

Also noticed that the cheek pad doesn't fit the cutout when the stock is folded. On mine it fits exactly in the right spot.

In another pic it looks like the leather pad is not fitted well to the base metal.

The sling has absolutely no wear at the points you would expect even if lightly used.

I've been looking at details of these for a solid week trying to determine if mine is legit and now I am noticing oddities in many online examples. Has my imagination gotten the better of me?

Inset for tubular stock was milled, leaving pronounced edges as opposed to smooth curves. (From uscarbinecal30.com)

Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.