12-05-2022 @ 02:54 PM
    Real Name
    Donald
    Local Date
    06-13-2024
    Local Time
    02:17 AM

Colt Commando

Took the Colt Commando to the range a couple days ago, impressed how well it shot 55gr. Federal American Eagle loads. My son shot most of the rounds at the gong at 300 yards with me doing a few but most of my time was spotting. Overall considering the 1/7 twist is not very good with that light of a bullet I think it did well. It with a 11 1/2 in barrel is loud, very loud and the muzzle flash is very evident in bright daylight.

I am impressed with the quality of the build, everything is top quality in fit and finish which makes it a Colt most people would like to own. Sights seem to work well, even with these old eyes and had lots of adjustment so only took a few rounds to get on target.

The stock has infinite adjustments which is good seeing as so often it is difficult to get the exact length with a adjustable stock that uses specific stop lengths.

Trigger is crisp and better than I expected, probably won't consider replacing as it is more than adequate.

Bought 75 gr Hornady AMAX bullets which was a mistake as it is impossible to get the C.O.L. to fit any AR mag, the poly tip is the culprit. Apparently you can use any 77 gr. or lighter bullet as long as they are not a AMAX, lesson learned. Read the 75 AMAX are extremely accurate so will try them in one of my bolt guns. Went back to the LGS and bought some Hornady 68 gr. and haven't loaded any but will do some tomorrow for the next range day. Will chrony with the 68's as I am curious what velocity we can get from such a short barrel. Reloading will be interesting as the powder weight bottom to top is pretty narrow. One of the guys at the LGS uses IVI cases and advised me to start at the bottom, and watch for any sign of pressure. Will use Varget and as it is such a versatile powder and hope it will be the usual "best" choice.

Next time will do some accuracy tests at 100 yards, and will post the results..providing they are good...LOL

I don't think it has a new FRT number, think the importer tried to register it under the wrong number and that is where a bit of a mix up happened. This gun is fairly rare here in Canadaicon from what we read but has been imported in low numbers over the years. IIRC the original FRT number is for a FA Commando which is a prohib. here in Canada.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by enfield303t; 08-22-2016 at 10:01 PM.
    Why use a 50 pound bomb when a 500 pound bomb will do?

2. The Following 3 Members Say Thank You to enfield303t For This Useful Post: