Hi there,
Sorry to be a pest again, but I'm still trying to track down early WW1 1914-1916 type sniper rifles. I recently found a post, in a thread, on the WW1 forum, that mentioned a CLLE or long lee pattern being fixed, I'm sure I also found a picture of this rifle, on " all about Enfields " a N.Z. site, and yet I don't seem to be able to find it again, still looking.
It concerned a long Lee patt'n, shortened to a 28 inch long Barrel, standard but shortened wood, pattern furniture. Although, I was actually looking for the long rifle type, fitted with full length wooden top handguards, I've seen that they were used, and heard mention of them in different texts. using them with Target sights, and or aldis scopes and different mounts.
The rifles in Question, were described as sniper rifles, a pattern that is being held in a large UKicon armory collection, with Barrel 28 inches in length, with 5 grooves. I'm fairly sure they described as using both Martin or Gibbs style sights, or again with differing mounts and an aldis sight still offset, not overhead. I have pictures now of snipers being both trained with this style of rifle in the field, they look issued, as the soldiers at the range with this rifle, had his scope around his neck, in a leather. If anyone has anymore knowledge of these rifles, could they please drop me a line and point me in the right direction, as I seem to have lost the scent right now.
Also, does anyone out there, have a picture and or measurements of a Common's Patterned scope mount. Which was employed on the long lee, to mount a scopes and provide some adjustment as well, although from what I've seen so far, it's only seems to be changes in elevation, and the scopes shown fitted already had this function as standard, I do have very little info on this mount, other than it was used on the long lee's, around the 1900's. While I'm asking, also any pic's or information of how early APX style mounts were fitted, and worked, as I seem to be missing some details on the front part of the mount . Thanks very much for any help supplied, much appreciated.

Regards Ian
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.