Thread: Luftwaffe Mine Laying Aircraft shot down over Clacton-On-Sea, Essex, 1940

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Threaded View

Last On
    Yesterday @ 08:53 PM
    Local Date
    05-28-2024
    Local Time
    10:01 AM

Luftwaffe Mine Laying Aircraft shot down over Clacton-On-Sea, Essex, 1940

I have mentioned this incident previously on this forum of when a Luftwaffe mine laying aircraft was shot down, by ground fire, over Clacton-on-Sea, Essex, Englandicon at the very end of April 1940.

However, last year, I became aware of the existence of news reel film of the immediate aftermath of the huge explosion caused by the detonation of at least one of the sea mines on board the aircraft. The incident is significant for the UK because the houses seen here, that have been damaged and destroyed, were amongst the first to be damaged by the Luftwaffe in the UK during WW2. The footage also has personal significance to me because my family was living only around a mile or two away when it happened and well remembered the huge explosion and the very big bang of the mine/s detonation. Sadly the crew of the aircraft did not make it out in time and, in addition, two people on the ground also perished. Around 160 people were injured.

I do think that these 2 short films uniquely demonstrate the power of sea mines (my understanding is that they are magnetic mines but I stand to be corrected) which for obvious reasons is not normally seen and why they can do so much damage to ships. My father believed that it was this incident that gave the Germans the idea to start dropping converted sea mines, normally by parachute, over land because of the enormous amount of damage that could be caused.

I would say to anyone who is easily upset, please do not look at the films because both films show the immediate aftermath of a huge explosion in a residential area and several people that have been injured.

Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by Flying10uk; 03-07-2019 at 07:45 PM.

2. The Following 3 Members Say Thank You to Flying10uk For This Useful Post: