Hey all,
Long time reader, first time poster. I had the pleasure of purchasing my 1st enfield yesterday: A well worn but solid functioning No. 1 Mk. III* from 1942. I am thrilled because as far as I can tell other than removal of grenadier wire wraps no one outside the Britishicon army has messed with it. From what I can tell the stock finish is still original as well. Every serial number matches down to the magazine:56653 G. She is beautiful in her own way despite the metal being mostly coated with black arsenal paint. I have considered trying to remove this but I decided against it because it was put there on purpose and is a part of her history. I am replacing the safety locking pin, which is broken making it not able to engage but other than that am not messing with it to avoid bubba-ing it.

There are several marks on it that confuse me and no amount of internet searching has revealed an answer please let me know if any of y'all can shed some light on any of the following marks (or lackthereof):

There is no unit disk and no evidence of a repair.

The stock (right side) has a broad arrow with an S on the left, an I below and an A on the right.

Where I would think the unit disk would be there is also a small and partially worn off similar cartouche consisting of the numbers 506 over a broad arrow and the numbers 1570? (difficult to read) underneath it.

The metal band on the reciever has the year, crown, GRI and No 1. MkIII as I would expect but no mention of a manufacturer.

The left side of the grenadier cross-bolt has a triangle with a lightning bolt on it.

on the top of the barrel shoulder (at the breach) there are the letters GF, and another GF mark just in front of that. I assume this doesn't mean gluten free (grenade firing?). I would expect the "emergency use only" cartouche for a grenadier here if anything, I haven't found any other examples of this my searches.

On the right side of the stock opposite where I'd expect a unit disk is the numbers "34" in white paint.

Right behind the trigger on the bottom of the stock is the letter "S" and one other symbol which looks like either an "8" or another "S"

Thank you in advance. I know this rifle has an interesting history and possibly saw combat, so let me know what y'all think from those marks and pictures. I think from the black arsenal paint she definitely ended up in India at some point but was she made there? did she serve in WW2?

She passed a gunsmith's inspection so I get to shoot her tomorrow I am so excited!
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.