For Capt Laidlericon (and other experts on this site):

Newbie here. I’ve got your Sten book and am deeply impressed by your research depth and writing clarity. I’m in the US and own a semi-auto Sten Mk III and Mk V/5, which take me back to my childhood in the ‘50s when I thought the Tommys, Diggers, and Paras at Tobruk and Arnhem were the coolest guys ever. I’m retired US military and not a reenactor (but, hey, nothing wrong with those guys . . . ).

I request your help understanding Britishicon WW II gun lubricants. I’ve searched the internet for hours and am either doing poor searches or the info I need just ain’t there except in bits and pieces. Plus, the milsurps sellers all seem to use different nomenclature when describing the various lube containers.

I’ve just had my torch-cut Inglis Bren Mk II professionally rebuilt to semi-auto and am in the process of assembling a full complement of original cleaning, maintenance, & spare parts equipment for the gun.

I’ve collected all the physical tools, so the only remaining challenge is the identification of the lubes (and containers) as included in the Bren wallet and carryall, and their modern equivalents. My searches culminated upon finding your “1945 Miscellaneous Armourers Training Notes” (Laiderler[sic]-Misc.pdf) on MilSurps.com:
  • Oil “A” - preservative & lubricant
  • M.80 - preservative & lubricant, possibly the same as or equivalent to Oil “A”(?)
    • These two were apparently identified as “standard service oils” and also as “G.S. oils” but I can’t find the meaning of “G.S.”
  • R.D.1179 graphited grease - for tropical use at higher temps (above 40° F); high quality heavy motor oil approved as emergency substitute in the Besa (cannot confirm also for the Bren)
    • To be carried in “bottles, oil” in approximately 1/2 oz volume. It appears “bottle, oil” is what’s today commonly called an oiler (tube) in plastic or brass
  • Oil, low cold test, No. 1 (C.W.D. 726a) - for use below 40° F, and if the temp falls to -40°F/-40°C is to be diluted with 20% (or more) paraffin (since the US and UK have completely different definitions of this word, I assume this means what we in the US would call “kerosene”)
    • To be carried in any “can, oil, M.G.” of existing pattern, painted green for identification
    • It appears the “can, oil, M.G.” is the much larger (than the “bottle, oil”) metal or plastic can with the brush in the lid
  • As far as I can tell, lubes other than "Oil, low cold test, No. 1” could also be carried in the “can, oil, M.G.;” hence the color coding
  • Certainly not all these lubes were carried at the same time, but I want to obtain them all for my wallet & carryall, which I guess shows the historian in me!

Also, is it correct:
  • “Bottle, oil” looked like this (different styles, colors, and materials) and was intended/used ONLY for graphited grease, including in Enfield Riflesicon? Part of my confusion is the conflation of "oil" and "grease;" in my US military experience these were distinctly different substances.

Attachment 100541
  • “Can, oil, M.G” looked this this (different styles, colors, and materials) and was intended/used ONLY for the lower viscosity weight oils Oil “A,” M.80, and “oil, low cold test, No. 1:”

Attachment 100542

Would you explain what each of these lubes is/was, and their modern equivalents? I know this is an esoteric issue, but you’re the acknowledged expert.

Thanks much.

Dave
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.