I recently purchased this 1915 Enfield Mk. III complete with magazine cutoff and volley sights and brass stock disc. WW1 rifles aren't my primary interest area, but this one stood out for it's overall condition and substantially original configuration, although as I have examined it in more detail I'm noticing a few things that have been altered. For instance, although it has the screw in the nosecap, it's missing the stacking swivel, and the windage adjustable rear sight has been replaced. The current rear sight has an older serial number lined out and is restamped with the rifle's serial number, which also matches on the barrel, bolt, receiver and forend. I also believe the barrel has been replaced if I'm correct that the '20 mark on the knox form is a barrel date. The barrel is also marked "HV" right behind the rear sight. There are some markings on the forend behind the nosecap that look like rebuild stamps. I'm curious if there is any significance to the R or EB markings.

It's been hard to find comparable sales of rifles in similar configuration to assess value. I think I did OK on it for a bit over $700. It was more than I really wanted to spend, but I haven't seen too many SMLE's like this so I figured why quibble over a hundred or so.

I welcome any additional thoughts or comments about it. Here are a few photos.

Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.