I'm interested in a SMLE for sale and would like to pick the forum's collective brain. The seller is not local to me so I can't handle the rifle myself. It's a 1916 BSA. Serial numbers are matching on receiver, nose cap, and bottom of magazine. The bolt has been ground off and forced matched, and the rear sight has been struck through and forced matched. I'm trying to talk the seller into removing the rear handguard so I can see the barrel info (he doesn't seem to know a lot about SMLEs). Other things of note...the rear handguard and front handguard are both missing ears. The rear sight has no windage adjustment. There is a "R" stamp on the bottom of the stock. There are a couple arsenal repairs in the stock (I love the individual character of them). The muzzle is in good shape, but I don't know about the bore. There is no rust or pitting on the visible metal parts. There is no brass marking disk and no accessories. I'm located in the U.S. and the seller is asking $1300 but will entertain offers. What do you guys think?
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.