I have a couple Ross 1905's I'm lookin at. The military one is as per issue. But the sporter Ross is unique indeed!
1905 looks like a very well smithed sporter or factory made that could be .280 cal.?
The bolt body and receiver are hot blued almost to mirror finish and the bolt head is polished or plated nickel. Barrel is quite narrow and 24 inches long and nicely blued. The rear sight is polished and is grided in incriments of 20 yards based on a dial that is knurled and goes around entire barrel dia. . Custom light trigger different from issued 1905 but does have Ross proof mark.Crown over 6 over G. In fact the whole trigger mech differs from the as is issued type.The trigger guard is also lighter and this guard swivel is much thiner than regular 1905 issue.It also has a Mag Catch in front of trigger to assist (I think) with another cal. as it ends on top of Magazine platforms left and right sides.. Hot blued too.
Stock has 8ZZ. DarrowC and cross rifles.It is checkered with recoil pad No where is there a calibre or tons pressure stamps. This stock is made for the narrow dimensions of the barreled action as they do mate nice and tight.
I cannot get my .302 running bore guage to even come close to entering at the crown or throat. .303 drill rounds do not function out of the mag. The bolt face even appears different.
I guess I will do a chamber cast,first time in 15 years, to confirm my suspicions.
But I do need help telling me if this is a .280 factory Ross I have heard so much about over the years. I have handled the Deerstalker and this is different.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.