Lithy, thank you for your reply. I clearly did NOT intend to claim my rifle being an Australianicon sniper rifle. However, knowing on the origin of my rifle and personally pulling it from a crate of firearms three days after they arrived at a wholeseller which all came from Malaysia (among dozens of other crates) I do not question nor doubt the tag attached to the rifle. The Malaysian Army clearly named it a sniper rifle. And if you read my starting post, I specifically asked if anyone knew of the Omark being used as a Malaysian Army sniper rifle.

Reading online that the Australian Army TRIALED this rifle I had wondered on a potential connection between the Australian Army and the Malaysian Army. Your reply actually supported this theory I had formed by a lot of details on what you called the Butterworth Air Base. Do you know if the items at Butterworth were left behind for the Malaysian Army? I wonder if actually this way one or more of the (what you call) fullbore competition rifles were left behind and the Malaysian Army re-used (issued?) it as a sniper rifle. Therefore I want to clearly repeat, it surely isn't an Australian sniper rifle, but for the Malaysian Army it was used or designated as sniper rifle.

This theory by the way would be supported that from the actual crate where I pulled it mainly consisted of a handful Enfield No. 9 rifles, as well as probably a dozen (or more) No. 4 rifles that were converted to .22 caliber and all ALFRED PARKER stamped, a few BSA Martini International Mk.II rifles, Enfield Skeleton rifles, etc.

Do you possibly have the pictures that (former?) user trooper554877 mentioned here:

Quote Originally Posted by trooper554877 View Post
I have photographic proof that they where issued to VDC units in Victoria, maybe some infantry units in New guinea and definitely the RAAF in Malaya.
To me this sounds very much like what he talks about would have good chances to be what I currently have at home, left behind/handed over from Australia to Malaysia, who designated it a sniper rifle, and now years later selling it off.