Quote Originally Posted by Peter Laidlericon View Post
Off track a bit but I have a funny feeling in my bones that eventually, the good old L2 series, GPMG FN-MAG will out live the other machine guns. We called it 'The General' I used to invite one or two word comments from users just returned from war zones. I don't remember anyone making a bad comment about it and we were still using old BL64 and 65 guns. BL = Belgiumicon Liege 1964 and 65 guns sent to the UKicon for trials to replace the Vickers and Brens at Infantry section level. In fact my old boss, Major Fogwell accepted it into UK service. But it hasn't got that magical name in the title. BROWNING
IMHO the Browning .50 cal. MG will win the longevity contest for some very good reasons:

A) It has a near 4 decade headstart.
B) There are other 30 cal. options for a GPMG. Not that the MAG isn't a great weapon, it is, just ask my USMC 0331 Machine Gunner nephew, he'll tell you he loves it but it isn't the only game in town, even for countries friendly to the West.
C) The Ma Deuce is the only game in town for NATO countries wanting a 50 cal. unless you want to resurrect the Vickers.

Next prediction: The Rolling Stones will outlast The Beatles.