I've just started collecting Enfields and at a recent gun show bought a No.4 MkI/2 that is in really good condition. The left side of the receiver/action body is marked in electro-pencil No4 MkI/2 (F) FTR /54 F11035. The left side of the butt stock socket is marked M 1942 F11035. There is no US import mark that I can find, but it does have the Britishicon export marking of "ENGLAND" and a crown/proof mark on the receiver/action body.

From what I've been able to determine using Stratton's Lee-Enfield No. 4 and No. 5 Rifles (Vol. 2) book, this was a No. 4 Mk 1 rifle made at Malt by in 1942, which then went through FTR and updating to the Mk. 2 configuration at Fazakerley in 1954.

Now for the question -- the barrel is only about 22 3/4 inches long and has no bayonet lugs. The barrel ends just after the front sight, giving the rifle at first glance the appearance of a No. 1 Mk III. Any chance the barrel was shortened as part of the FTR process, possibly to salvage a barrel that was damaged at the muzzle?

The other curious item is that the magazine is shorter than normal by a about 5/8 in. -- it appears that someone took the magazine apart, cut out a section from the middle and then brazed the two ends back together -- any thoughts on why this would have been done?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jim
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.