Thread: reloading and the 7.62 No.4

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Threaded View

whiterider

reloading and the 7.62 No.4

I started to answer a question from a guy about case life of the 7.62 No.4 but the thread was locked. I have no idea why nor was I part of any dispute that may have taken place...!!!!! :-)

In the interests of helping another shooter I can tell you that I use a 7.62 No.4 for Service Rifle competition and shoot approximately 2,500 rounds every year from my 3 rifles.

I use winchester brass, sierra 155 grain matchkings and (what is known in the USAicon) AS Varget...or our 2208. I wont tell you the load but it is somewhere between 42 grains and 44 grains....

I full length size cases each firing, for surety of feeding and extraction...smooth bolt action etc.

I get about 3 to 4 reloads before the shiny ring appears about 1/2 inch above the case head that tells me there is an incipient head separation imminent....then I throw the case in the scrap bin... So expect 4 firings per case....full length resizing...before throw 'em away time...

Now you MAY be able to get much longer brass life by only neck sizing....but I prefer the sweet certainty of feeding and extraction that comes with the full length sized case....rapid fire is a large part of most of our service rifle shoots here in Oz. So the thing JUST HAS TO feed and eject with no hang ups or you lose matches... :-)

As a final note...i have tried the so-called 'better' brass...such as Lapua.....or the other end of the scale 'military' spec stuff.....ok they have thicker brass....but even with full length resizing I have had cases stick in the chamber and the extractor pull over....fatal in service rifle competition....no such problems with win cases so I've stuck with them.... The Lee Enfield isnt all that strong in the primary extraction department....and (experts tell me) the springing or stretching of the rear locking action tends to shorten case life.....
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by whiterider; 06-29-2009 at 01:59 AM.

2. The Following 2 Members Say Thank You to whiterider For This Useful Post: