Hi All,

Now that I will be receiving my 1st paycheck (since February) on Friday, I am considering making a new firearm purchase. I noticed a nice Springfield Armory, Inc. (s/n in the 22,000 range) M1Aicon at a local gunshop. Once I get a few bills paid I'm considering maybe getting this piece. I know that getting a beater Garand re-parked and re-barreled in .308 will be cheaper but I'd like to know how the later M1A's have been in terms of quality. Also, the local gunshow may have a Polytech M14S there again. So I'm wondering.....

1.) How are the current generation on M1A's in terms of quality? I know it's a cast receiver, but I figure since it's new it can go back to Springfield, Inc. if it's a "problem child".

2.) It's about a $400 price difference between the Poly M14S and the Springfield M1A. If the Poly M14S has bolt, op rod, or barrel problems, does that eat up my $400 price difference (I think it would)?

3.) This will be used for shooting mil-surp 7.62 NATO stuff, not a Match Rifle (though I may take it to a CMPicon match just for giggles). Any other ideas on 7.62 NATO rifles? I've heard the G3 loosens your fillings and isn't as ergonomic as it could be (unless you like lots of spacers in the buttstock) and the FN-FAL was never a tack driver. Any other ideas?

Mike Doerner
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.