Just thinking out loud, but here goes. A few weeks ago a nice new Glock 22 came into my possession by way of a swap. I have found Federal 180 gr. FMJ ammo priced at $12.87/50rd. box but have only found one box of Rem. 155 gr. HP ammo priced at $47/50 rd. box. If I order HP ammo, the price is even higher due to shipping/handling plus I have a real problem being home to sign for UPS delivery. I've been thinking that I could set up a jig and stop so that I could use a drill press to drill out the tip of the 180 gr. FMJ's to make some homemade HP ammo. I figure I could use my reloading scale to weigh the material removed and thus arrive at a nominal weight of about 165 gr. HP bullet. Since the factory powder charge would be for the heavier 180 gr. bullet, it should present no problems for pressure, etc. If the hollow point allows the edge of the nose of the bullet to remain in factory profile, the resulting round should feed without problems. Please note that the Federal ammo is a FMJ but it is not a round nose but a flat nose bullet. Has anyone ever tried this procedure with factory loaded FMJ ammo? If this is a acceptable procedure, would the hollow point cavity best be formed by simply running in a standard drill bit to an appropriate depth or would it be best to try to use a drill bit that would produce a larger but more shallow hollow point? I have not pulled a bullet so I do not know if the base is solid or open. Given what I have seen of FMJ bullets, I have to assume the base is open. If this idea works I intend to try the resulting rounds out on some of the local hogs. Sincerely. BruceV.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.