Paint is all gone, rifle is cleaned, oiled and reassembled. Photo quality is probably not great, but here it goes. Sling is my addition.

Barrel was wire brushed with Hoppes a few times, and then cleaned with solvent soaked patches. It is in pristine condition, although the photo may not do the bore justice. Not even any green fouling on the patches; it is as if a copper jacketed projectile never passed through the bore, and this is a bore which has been exposed to solvent for a few days now. I would think that arsenal rebuilding would include some shooting, but it's hard to see indications of this. Perhaps a shot or two has gone through this barrel (with what bolt?) but it's just hard to find evidence of it being fired. In short, barrel condition could hardly be better.

I chambered a cartridge (safety activated), and noted that there is, because of this, a few witness marks left by the brass sliding along the bolt face. No such marks existed before, confirming my belief that this bolt face hasn't so much as chambered a cartridge since being refinished long ago.

So however it happened, this weapon managed to not get used for decades. I am very grateful to have found such a special rifle. It will be well cared for.

I'll have to ask the gun shop owner if he has a time machine in the back of the store- if so, I have a shopping list.